258 swap

NCjeeper

im putting an 1983 258 in my 75 cj. the original motor threw a rod. i'm not too mechanically inclined, and i havent ever done any major projects on my own. to be totally honest, i dont really know what i'm doing. today, i pulled off the grill assembly and radiator on the front and unhooked all the hoses and wiring. quite honestly, i was proud that i figured that out myself. i got to looking at it and noticed there were only 7 bolts holding the assembly in place.

basically, i'm 21 and im new at being able to upgrade my vehicles as i please. im trying to learn as fast as i can, and i must say, you guys are a tremendous help.

what should i replace before putting in the new motor? i knew i should replace the header gasket, rear main seal, and i guess ill get a new clutch since i have no clue how the old one is. (i bought the jeep after the motor had blown)

what else should i do/prepare for?

If you got extra $$ replace all the normal stuff. (cap/rotor/plugs/wires/thermostat/oil/filter/fuel filter/ and the clutch is a good idea to)

yjdave said:
If you got extra $$ replace all the normal stuff. (cap/rotor/plugs/wires/thermostat/oil/filter/fuel filter/ and the clutch is a good idea to)

:agree: ........and hoses, too.

NCjeeper said:
..........i'm not too mechanically inclined, and i havent ever done any major projects on my own. to be totally honest, i dont really know what i'm doing............

Don't worry too much about that, as long as you've got common sense! NOBODY knew what they were doing when they started. But it's just a machine, built by men, bolted all together, and theres a rhyme and reason for everything (believe it or not!). Quite a project you're going to tackle, but there's no better feeling than the satisfaction you'll get when you finally fire 'er up - knowin' that you did it yourself. And there's plenty of very knowledgeable, experienced folks on here to help you..........and lots and lots of common sense. I'll help help in any way I can (not really much help, but I do know some things). Best of luck!!

yjdave said:

yeah i forgot to mention i'd already replaced the cap/rotor/plugs/wires but thanks for the other info.

what should i do about my old carbs? when i bought it the guy sent two single barrel carbs with the motor. i heard soaking them in gas would help a lot, but should i have it rebuilt until i get another? i just wanna get this baby fired up before i worry about upgrades. what can i do until i can buy a DB carb?

Back