2001 Jeep Wrangler 3rd brake light

PEPPER1

Hi,

I am new to the forum..new Jeep owner actually and have a question.

I have tried searching for the answer to my question but could not find anything.

I have a 01 Wrangler Sport that has a non-working 3rd brake light. I tries to change the bulb and it didn’t work. Does anyone know of a wiring problem this year had? If so, is it a easy fix?

Thaks,
P

Check the terminals with a voltage tester and see if one is hot when the brake lights are on and the other has a proper ground. Follow whichever is bad back through the harness. Good luck.

Thanks guys, I looked at the contacts as questioned and noticed that the 2 points on the tailgate did not completly touch the tub points, I bent the tailgate hanger attached to the points out and now they mash together.

Thanks Again,
P

Bounty__Hunter said:
Find the wiring contacts between the tub and the tailgate, check 'em out closely.

Last edited:

I have a similar problem. I tried a replacement bulb (921), checked the voltage at each point (terminals on the tub, connectors at the bulb) and consistently get 12V. Whenever the bulb is plugged in, the voltage drops to to zero. Take the bulb out and voltage goes back to 12.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Back