TJ front pinion seal ?

anthonyp

2004 TJ X had the front pinion seal go out. Still under warranty so I had the dealer replace it. Anything I need to be wary of....keep an eye out for to make sure this was done right? I've read a few of the old forum posts on the topic and there appears to be some talk about making sure the seal is perfectly flat and that everything lines up. I'm not sure if this applies to my model though. Before I took it in it was a minor drip. About a 1" drop each night on the garage floor. This went on for about 2 weeks before it was fixed. I never ran it in 4wd since I noticed the issue. I doubt there is damage to the bearings. Strange thing was that I checked the fluid level and it never was low....always seeped out the second I opened the front hole on level ground. This leads me to believe it was overful when purchased...but not too sure. I'm probably going to pull the front cover soon, clean it out, and completely replace the fluid.

If the stealership just replaced the outer pinion seal I wouldn't bother opening it up just to replace the 90 weight. The stealership did that when they replaced the outer seal since they had to remove the axle shaft.
Just pull the screw and check the fluid level for piece of mind.

My 2001 went out about 2 years into it, they replaced it under warranty and I had no problems since.

Back