Steering options

Snitty

I plan on rebuilding the Jeep this year. When I do, I want to do the steering right. What are my options as far as modding the dana 30 for crossover or high steering? This is one area I've never really put any research into. New knuckles? Any kits out there? Just install a straight axle and forget steering altogether? Help would be appreciated

I met a guy who used ZJ or WJ knuckles to do his hi-steer. There's a kit available that gives you the hardware you need to do the ZJ conversion - JKS maybe???.

Google ZJ knuckle conversion YJ

WJ's have a high-steer setup on the pass. side, it will raise your draglink quite a bit if it'll fit your axle. Otherwise plan a front/rear axle swap to D44's or heavier. I'm using a Wagoneer front D44 with flattop knuckles from a '73-75 Waggy, and an Isuzu rear D44 with disc brakes (both are 6-lug).

When I was going to do my spring over I looked into steering options. The high steer kits are very expensive for some reason. They also make the bent drag link that gets mixed reviews. Some people swear by them and say it does not affect the steering at all. Some people hate'em and say you get a lot of bump steer. I also found a few different web pages on how to make your own high steer brackets if you have the tools and time. Don't have those sites anymore but you can find them by searching the web.

Whatever it takes to get my draglink above my springs. I don't want to go with a bent link, I don't like them so much, even though I've seen them succeed many times. I guess I'll look more into the WJ knuckle. They are going to be tough to find

Back