timing chain replacement

MikeB

last week my timing chain jumped a tooth (im pretty sure anyway) when i opened up the casing there was about 3/4" of play. i put the #1 cylander to top dead center and marked the distributor. i put the new timing chain and gears in but i cant get anything to line up. Any suggestions?

What engine?
Were the old gears not marked? There should have been punch marks indicating where the gears line up. There should also be punch marks on the new gears as well as a key way, depending on the engine.

its a 4.2, the new gears do have timing marks in them but they arent lining up like the hayes manual says they should be. it said that there should be 15 chain link pins between the 2 marks, and when i had em lined up, the distributor is way off, to the point i cant even set it, i tried giving the cam another full turn but it didnt seem to do anything. this is the first time ive replaced a timing chain and im lost.

hmmf. i double checked with the '00 FSM and it says it needs 20 instead of 15. screenshot is attached... best of luck! let me know if you need anything else.

Attachments

• fsm_timing_chain.jpg
    fsm_timing_chain.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 955

'00 model might be different. He's working a 4.2.
I would say a Chilton manual would be a good purchase.

Back