Bad YJ starter help!!

nica89yj

My starter is dying on me! Alright guys here are the symptoms, the starter does spin but the engine does not crank. I was reading my Jeep Owners Bible and it says that the starter drive is whats faulty. I have a 89 YJ is there a single piece that i can buy to fix this or is it better to have it replaced? I was also reading that they are several types of starter drives such as the Bendix spring and some others, which one is in the 89 yj 4.2. The starter does engage after a while but its horrible to hear it spin, it will die pretty soon. Thanks alot for your help in advance!!!

Could be a bad starter solenoid or a bad bendix gear (gear that engages the flywheel). Both are replaceable, so wether you buy new or repair is up to you.

You may want to do it soon to avoid damage to the flywheel.

I had a starter going bad, finally killed it once I installed an Optima battery and really spun that sucker fast.

Personally, I'd just replace the whole thing. Perhaps more expensive, but quicker and easier than tearing it apart and replacing different components. I just replaced mine a few weeks ago, it had been making an awful noise for over 6 months (someone said it sounded like I had a supercharger under the hood when I cranked it). In the '94 YJ, there apparently were two starters issued: a Bosch and a Mitsubishi. Mine had the Bosch and it was about $80 at Advance Auto Parts. The Mitsubishi was about $100.

i went to autozone and got mine for a pretty good price - only a couple bolts and wires and youre done - under 1/2 hour on your back and problem solved.... to me its not worth fixing just to have something else go wrong inside it - mine was the original and i was pretty impressed it lived that long!

Yea I think you guys are right, Plus at autozone they give you lifetime warranty for like 100 bucks. So it looks like iam gonna replace the sucker, thanks alot guys for the help!

Back