Recommended aftermarket carb for 6-258

panzer948

I have an 1981 CJ5 6-258 and would like to replace my old carter carburetor as it is flooding to easy and idles to low when running hot. I’ve rebuilt once and replaced with a new Carter stock unit over my 16 years of owning my Jeep, mostly cause back then I couldn’t afford a more expensive replacement and I hadn’t quite learned my lesson that you get what you paid for. Now that I have a little extra income and have learned that lesson, I’m ready for something better. My County recently dropped the sniffer test for the emissions on pre-1996 models, but they are still tough. I took my Jeep to get inspected last week and they almost failed me simply cause they didn’t really know what to look for as far as stock emission requirements. They had to get the book out and it took 15 minutes. I even had to show them where the smog pump was (they were pretty embarrassed about that). :purple: The guy kept saying, man this thing is older than me.

Anyway, I will need to keep the emissions connected, so I will need a carburetor that is street legal in that since. I’m also not looking for a street racer. All I want is a reliable carb that requires minimum tweaking and may give me a little more horses. Although I’m no mechanic, I would like to do the install myself. Any recommendations on the best after market carb that fits this criteria? Looked into fuel injection, but the parts seemed super expensive and not sure if this would be legal. Is this the way to go?

Thanks.

Look in this forum for Motorcraft 2150 swaps. You shouldn't have to look back more than a few pages to find the info.

Back