My CJ woes

larryboyCJ

This year i bought a project CJ. This is the 2nd Cj i have redone but the original got stolen leaving me driving my Grandmas old Chrysler Lebaron. So and post on here would be great appreciated so i can actually be driving a car i enjoy. Its a 1974 CJ5, straight 6 engine 3 speed manual, the first thing i had to do was get it running(and lifted) and after i got it running i drove it for about a week before i decided to put new brakes on it. I spent about a month before i relised that the axels had been taken of a 77 CJ to actually get the brakes. I also got in a small accident right after this and i got a small crack in my frame behind the passangers front tire. I have fixed the body and i painted it myself but that is all i have been able to do.

so now for my Questions.
-Is the crack in the frame easily fixed with a welder?
-It has a painless wiring harness and i would like to install a CD player and speakers but i have never installed a radio before and there wasnt one in this jeep when i bought it.
-when i had the jeep in my autotech class someone messed with somehting and the turn signals dont work is there any way to look at this and find out what is wrong.
- also my steering is really really loose and the disc brakes in the front make it very hard to stop(no powerbrakes) what is yall's advice on this

-any post would be greatly appreciated

The radio is an easy install. All you have to do is have one wire that is always hot (like to the clock) and one wire that is only hot when its running. The rest of the wires are ground and to each speaker. Oh, and you'll have to grab an antenna to mount somewhere. I'd recommend one of those Tuffy stereo consoles. I have one and really like it. I have all the wiring in a loom going through a hole in the floor under the console and up the firewall to the dash since I don't have carpet to hide them under.

Check to see if the steering gear box is secure. My steering loosened up considerably a few weeks ago and it was because the bolts had started to vibrate loose and it was a little wobbly.

As for the turn signal, you'll have to just start testing with a multimeter to see where your problem is.

Frame should be an easy enough fix as long as the metal around the crack is solid enough to weld. After you weld the crack, a piece of flat plating welded across it should strengthen it up a bit.

CJ's have bad grounding issues and I've found that all of my lighting woes were caused by this.

Power brakes are for sissies.....be a man and PUSH harder.

j/k - You can upgrade to power brakes with a little research and a little MORE money.

Hope this helped.

Back