Grinding noise from front of engine

SenorCole86

Well, as the title suggests, I've got a grinding noise coming from the front of the engine. Sounds like the pulley that the fan is on or the harmonic balancer. It used groan only every once in a while, but now it does it pretty much constantly. Y'all have any ideas? I'm fixing to make a trip from South Texas to central Indiana, so I need to know if I'm in need of a rebuild or if it just needs some TLC. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot guys, have a good one.

Best way is to take off the belts, and spin the pulleys by hand, check for noises. The waterpump pulley will have up and down play and bind slightly if on its way out. If all the pulleys check ok, start engine, and listen for possible timing chain noise. Also watch the balancer to see if it wobbles. If it does, it could be hitting up against the block causing the noise.
Guysmiley

It's not uncommon for a harmonic balancer to go bad. A broomstick makes a good listening device, but be careful where you stick it :shock:

Ok, so should I be worried about fixing this quick, or can I make the drive and fix it when I get there? Reason I'm asking is I'm leaving this coming Friday. If the Balancer does crap out on the trip, would I be expecting any permanent damage? I still have to concretely diagnose the problem, but I'm asking this now just in case. Thanks a lot guys.

Balancer spinning at higher rpms will cause alot of damage or none at all. If it spins off completely, you could wipe out fan, shroud and radiator. The best thing that could happen if it goes will be to slip completely on the rubber, and stop spinning. Charging to the battery will stop, and if you still drive, you can overheat. A loose chain in the timing chain area will be of a ratcheting sound, mostly heard on hard acceleration on the engine, and decel also. This is from the chain tightening and slackening between the two gears. If timing chain goes (usually does not snap but jumps teeth), it could jump to a point will you will have driveability problems (starting, backfiring, missing) or if jumps enough will bend a valve. Did you remove any belts to pinpoint the noise. Might just be a waterpump or alt. bearing. If its the balancer, dont take a chance driving it like that to your destination, not worth it. Just replace it. Good Luck
guysmiley

Back