turns but won't start

daveplot

Went out to start my Jeep today and it wouldn't start. It turns but won't fire. I pulled a plug out and don't get a spark like normal. I replaced the coil and still won't start.

Battery is fine as I winched myself onto a trailer to get it home.

When I take the cap off the fuel line there is fuel there.

Any ideas?

I'm not too familiar with the distributor system. I've read the instructions for removal and installation in the Haynes manual. How do I check the distributor pickup? I did remove the cap and rotor, they are fine, both new.

Did you meter voltage to the new coil to make sure its getting 11.5-13.5 volts? Also check for spark out of the coil after you know it is getting power.

So I got a little tool to test the coil and spark plug wires for spark. They are sparking so that isn't the problem after all. I put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and i'm not getting anything when I turn the Jeep to on, or crank. I guess the fuel that came out before was just what was in the lines.

I checked the relay and it's fine. So I guess fuel pump?

Last edited:
Luckly it wasn't the fuel pump after all. Somehow there was no ground at the fuel pump connector. So I just put in a new ground, started right up.

Thanks

Back