Ok is this carb ok?

Ok, I think I'll insert the obligatory MC 2150 speel this time.

*ahem*

Most people will tell you to pull a Motorcraft 2150 or 2100 carb outa a junkyard and bolt that down. It's an extremely easy swap and you will love it. I did it to mine and have nothing but good things to say about it. There are a bazillion writeups out there, just google for it and we will be more than happy to help you through any difficulties as well. Good luck bud! Adios.

Ok well i have some questions now about it. Do i have to replace anything. I see in old forums about the throttle linkage or somthing? Would i have to replace it and if so how / with what ? Also where do i get an adapter or do i even need the adapter ?? If you can just walk me through what would be needed / the price of things ? Thanks for the help so far

You will need to get an adapter for the bolt pattern of the carb vs your intake. If I remember correctly, it's Mr. Gasket Part No. 1920. The throttle linkage requires a little modification, but that's no big deal. The carb you can get from a junkyard for maybe 40 bucks, and a rebuild kit for maybe 20 (?). The adapter is another $20 if my memory serves me and then you just do the labor yourself. I got my carb from eBay because all teh junkyards where I lived suck. I like Tug's idea too, in hindsight, I probably should have done that. Good luck bud! Adios.

ok, senorcole i went to www.jegs.com and found this, pn 720-1937 i dont know if it is right. For what you gave me '' Mr. Gasket Part No. 1920 ''. Is there a website for it and if so what is it?? Oh and is there a website where i can get the right rebuild kit as well, is so could you tell me that as well?? As for the throttle linkage what kind of modification are we talking about ?? Because that has to be just right of everything to work doesnt it?? OK sry about all the questions but i just wanna make sure i know how to do everything and that it will all work before i tear everything apart and have no ride..............Thanks again

Ok, I'm sorry, I lied. It's 1937. Here's where I got mine.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?categorycode=3575Y&mfrcode=MRG&mfrpartnumber=1937

I'll take a picture of the throttle linkage on mine and have it posted shortly. As far as the rebuild kit goes. I got mine from O'Reily's. I'm sure if you end up getting the carb from a parts store, they should also have the rebuild kit for it. But if you buy the carb new from a parts store, you shouldn't need to rebuild it. Again, good luck.

Here's the throttle linkage. The piece I outlined in red is the piece I had to make. It's just a piece of aluminum cut to length, really no big deal. The second hole is where I had a hand throttle connected but have since removed. You will need to cut it only up to where I have drawn the blue line. There is one bolt and a lock washer holding it to the throttle. It would probably be better to drill another hole somewhere, because I have to tighten that screw every once in a while to keep the linkage straight, lol. The old linkage is held to that bar of aluminum by a ball and shoulder type joint. I used an oil zerk as the ball. You can figure it out. Good luck bud.

image-missing.png

I think that's about $200 too much. The guy had a really good reputation for awhile but lately a lot of people have been complaining about the carbs they've been getting from him. I have a weber on one Jeep and the MC21XX on the other. Weber has more power, MC21XX was a lot cheaper. Both are tons better than the carter. MC21XX is an EASY rebuild. All you do is take it apart, clean it, and put it back together with new gaskets. Find a carb off of just about any old ford car/truck (I got my last one for $30 off of a 79 mustang). Rebuild it (this was my first carb rebuild/install and the rebuild took me about an hour (not including the gas bath it loosen all the gunk). Get a V8 throttle cable from an 80 CJ7 and it snaps right into place so you don't have to fab anything. Get the adapter plate, bolt it to the manifold, bolt the carb to the adapter plate, hook up gas lines and start it up. There are only two screws to tune with and you might have to adjust the float (which you'll quickly see how to do when you disassemble the carb; you just bend it a little) if it's running really rich or lean. Best part about doing it yourself is you know how to do it again if/when you need it in the future. It's really not a hard job at all. If you can change spark plugs you can put a motorcraft on your Jeep. I DO LOOOVE my weber, but it's nowhere near as simple as the motorcraft and the weber costs a LOT more. If you're gonna spend $300 on the carb on ebay you'd be better off getting the weber.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Moto...ryZ33550QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

ok well take a look at this, i think this just might be worth it ?? !! Thanks for that pic too. What do you think of this ??
It does seem pricey, but the fact that the throttle linkage is all done and everything you need is included the price is easier to swallow. It appears to be a really nice setup... everything there and nothing to do but install and tune it.

His recent feedback is a little shaky though.:-|

I was looking into doing this 2100 swap as well. The ebay price looks pretty steep. If you look through his buying history, he is buying the carbs off ebay himself, and the ones I looked at were going for between 10 and 35 bucks. I'd think you could save $200 just rebuilding an old carb and using internet write-ups.
By the way, the link in the initial post was for a carb to replace a 70's 1 barrel CJ carb. You have a 2 barrel. I would check if that bolts up to your 2bbl manifold if I were you.

Alright well the rebuild kit is like 67 dollars plus shipping.... < my dad found that, but i have a napa right down the road so if i went there do you think that they would have the correct rebuild kit ???? You guys are right i would rather do all this junk myself so i can learn it for future projects.

I got my rebuild kit for $17 from autozone. Carbs can be had for $35 or less if you can find a yard that has them. If nothing else you can be an already remanufactured carb from autozone, oreilly's, napa etc for about $120 that should be ready to bolt on. Get you a V8 throttle cable from jeepdoc (kragen) for $15 or so, a generic air cleaner (autozone, about $15 or so) and the adapter ($20 or so with shipping) and you've got what this guy is sending you for about $175 AND if the carb doesn't run right you can take it back and swap it for another one. The erman guy is running the prices up on ebay so people have to buy from him. Just make sure you get a 1.08 venturi. Do a search here, jeepforum, jeepsunlimited, and CJ-8.com and you'll find more info than you'll ever need to do the swap including part numbers for the carb from autozone. I was leery of doing it myself but it was MUCH easier than I thought it would be.

Back