Chevy Swap, Help Needed

sjo426

I'm swapping a Chevy 327 into my 84 CJ7. Motor is in the engine bay.

I got a SM465 and NP208 to put behind it.

Well today I just spent about 4 hrs trying to put the transmission behind the motor. I can't seem to get the last inch or so to go all the way in. Am I missing something here? (I have done quite a few clutch jobs in my time but this is my first experience with a transmission that didn't originally come with the motor)

I have measured the distance from the where the pilot bushing is to the face of the bellhousing. And also the input shaft length. It looks fine. I checked the pilot bushing diameter before I installed it. It fit fine.

I was just hope somebody had some tip or something I might be missing here.

Thanks!

if the input shaft fit in the pilot bearing? (you said it did)
Sometimes the last inch is a real *****. I just help change a clutch in a 98 TJ, and we played hell getting the last inch in.

Just wiggle and push it on in there.. We lowered the Jeep down, I put my feet on the trans and braced on the rear axle and pushed as hard as I could while a guy on each side pushed and maneuvered the trans around till it seated. We messed around with it for an hour or so before we decided "if it don't fit, force it."
I mean it came out, it should go back in?

Wish I could be more help..

Last edited:
Well I finally did get it to go in. This was after a good tip in another forum to have somebody push the clutch in then wiggle it to get the last inch or so.

But now as I look at the setup I am concerned with driveshaft length.

I am using the SM465 and NP208 (got them both for 100 bucks). This setup uses the factory adapter between the two. As I measure this out if will leave about 1 foot between the t-case and the rear axle.

I do have a Dana 300 as well I could use. But between the 500 dollar adapter and the new input shaft you have to install in the transmission I don't know if I have that kind of budget.

A 12" driveshaft is definitely not going to work. The Dana 300 is the way to go anyhow in strength, gearing and length. Novak has an adapter kit that uses a spud shaft instead of a new mainshaft...meaning you don't have to take apart the transmission. It's $496.
www.novak-adapt.com

I've been on the Novak website but I was under the assumption that due to the SM465 I had I would need the Option II version of the adapter. This is the one that requires a new main shaft.

Is this correct?

Back