Flat tow Dana 20

David

I'm planning a drive of about 90 miles flat-towing my 1974 CJ-5 with a Dana 20. Any suggestions regarding what are appropriate ways to flat tow? I've heard of disconnecting the rear driveshaft, but that seems difficult (I've never done it, and would hate to have to learn how on this trip). I've also heard of engaging the front wheels, T-case in neutral, transmission in gear to keep main shaft from spinning. Word is that the turning of the front shaft will lubricate the innards of the T-case. Anybody know if that's true? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Somebody may correct me but I heard that flat towing witha a Dana 20 was fine. But flat towing with a Dana 300 could be dangerous to the components.

Not positive on the D20, but most Jeep 4wd's require the transmission to be in 1st (manual) or park (auto) and transfer case in neutral. The rear driveshaft will spin TC components keeping them lubricated, but the TC will not spin the transmission which, if it did, would burn it up.

If you're going to disconnect the rear driveshaft, disconnect the front as well and tie them both up. Doesn't take long and it's good insurance.

I flat-tow my YJ and leave the driveshafts connected. I disconnect the rear driveshaft if I use a dolly.

well, it is recommended that the rear drive shaft be disconnected and the front axle hubs disengaged for flat towing long distances. So I guess you have to decide if 90 miles would be considered long distance.

Back