Recommended tire pressure

I have 33x12.50 Baja Claw M/T and was wondering what would be the correct tire pressure for everyday traveling to and from work. I was putting 29 psi, but I was told to put 35. What is the difference if any.
    It's the critic that doesn't count....the credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood.

Theodore Roosevelt (Paris 1910)

Re: Recommended tire pressure

Not really sure buy i know you get better mpg with the correct air pressure. What does the tire suggest?
    IF ITS NOT A JEEP GO AWAY!!

http://www.myspace.com/puglise

It says 50 psi....That seems alot
    It's the critic that doesn't count....the credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood.

Theodore Roosevelt (Paris 1910)

33's are pretty big... i dont know though
    IF ITS NOT A JEEP GO AWAY!!

http://www.myspace.com/puglise

Depends on a lot, mainly what width rim and how heavy the rig is. You want an evenly flat footprint, so try some chalk across the tire and drive a little to see how evenly it's worn off.

A 12.5" wide tire on an 8" rim will need less psi than if it were on a 10" rim, for a flat footprint and even tire wear.

Quote Originally Posted by campingnut1973 View Post
    It says 50 psi....That seems alot
    that's most likely the maximum pressure, not the optimum pressure.

For street and especially highway driving I like 35 psi, even in a mudder. I have found it gives better mpg and longer wear.

Go with the chalk wear test, the manufacturer recomendations are based on the recommended tire, and the rating on the sidewall of your tire are the recommended max pressure.
    Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit
    http://www.myspace.com/randallrandazzle

8. Re: Recommended tire pressure

I have 34" super swamper ltbs... I had them at about 35 psi and the tires were wearing out in the middle more than the outside... this indicates too much air pressure...if the pressure is too low it will wear out the outsides of the tire more... i dropped mine to about 32 and am getting a little smoother ride and more even wear... i think

the manufacturer wont recommend any pressure, its based on the weight of the vehicle and some other factors

I run 30.5 lbs on a 12.5x35 Goodyear MT/r...listen to the chalk!

blatant jokessubliminal sarcasmsexual innuendo

Quote Originally Posted by Utah_jeepster View Post
    listen to the chalk!
    Dude.....that's deep!

I've heard that if you're running heavier bumpers or a hardtop vs. soft top, your front and rear pressures could vary by up to a few pounds. Same goes for a V-8, I-6, or 4 banger, considering different weight distribution.

you want the chalk, or paint, or dirt to give you the best "footprint" you can = too much you wear out the middle, too little, you wear the edges - i run about 25 psi w/my 33x12.5 bfg m/ts on 15x8 = experiment and see what you end up with...
    Bob in Florida
    89 YJ-4.2/5spd,Herculiner tub,4"HellCreek Lift,Cable front axle,Flush LED tailights,Hella,KC,33x12.5 BFG M/T on Eagle Alloys,flatfender,55w backup lights, Steves Jeep Rear bumper,Bestop extendatrunk w/top mounted spare,Cobra CB w/rear dual antenna, misc. trail rash