What have you guys heard?

jeeperwilly

I'm looking at putting a lift in a TJ. I've got it narrowed down to a 3in BDS(measures 4.5 after install) or a 4in Full Traction short arm kit . I know BDS has a dang good product and the "you break it-they buy it" warrenty is rock solid. I'm just wondering if Full Traction has a well made product. The only reason that I'm considering FT, is the kit comes with some more components compared to the BDS.

What do you guys think? If you think both these lifts suck, then in your opinion, what would be good in the $1200 range. The jeep is a DD with heavy-medium to medium-hardcore trail use.
FT kit
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?cid=17&sid=200&pg=3&pid=FT7505
BDS kit
http://www.bds-suspension.com/php/Product_print.php

Last edited:

I would argue against both. At 4-4.5 of lift your ride is going to suck. thats too much lift for a short arm kit. There are other things you will need to concider.
With 4 inches of lift you will need:
Longer brake lines
New Shocks
Slip Yoke eliminator kit
New rear drive shaft
A full alighnment.

First off save your money and wait for a long arm kit. You say this is your daily driver and with such a lift you would feel every bump and rock in the road. Ruts well they will take you for a ride all on there own.
Off road! I cringe just thinking about. Take a moment and jack your ride up 4 inches. Take a good look at your factory short arms at nornal level then at 4 inches of lift.
My advise wait and save your money till you can buy a good long arm kit

My dad just put on the 4" FT kit, the one with the 3 link rear. Totally worth the money. The only thing it didn't have was braided lines, but that wasn't a big deal to pick up. I think you can order it with them, we just screwed up. We took it to Paragon the week after we put it on, and he (my dad, Rubi on 33's) ran behind me(YJ on 38's), a TJ on 35's, two buggies on 42's, and a buggy on 38's all day through triple blacks. He did Pick your Poison, which is pretty damn nasty, and M trail, and tons of other good ones. I'm convinced that it was because of the design of that kit that he was able to do what he did, I've never seen a TJ on 33's perform that well with a normal short arm kit.

3in BDS(measures 4.5 after install)
I'm not doubting that it may be a bit more than 3", but...

Something to keep in mind about that extra 1.5 inches is that when claims like that are made two factors need to be considered:
1. The new springs will settle (sag) some.
2. The measurement was a result of measuring tired stock springs vs these un-settled new springs.

If the measurement compared a new factory suspension and was taken after a few weeks of settling, it'll be a lot closer to 3".

Food for thought.

I would argue against both. At 4-4.5 of lift your ride is going to suck. thats too much lift for a short arm kit. There are other things you will need to concider.
With 4 inches of lift you will need:
Longer brake lines
New Shocks
Slip Yoke eliminator kit
New rear drive shaft
A full alighnment.

First off save your money and wait for a long arm kit. You say this is your daily driver and with such a lift you would feel every bump and rock in the road. Ruts well they will take you for a ride all on there own.
Off road! I cringe just thinking about. Take a moment and jack your ride up 4 inches. Take a good look at your factory short arms at nornal level then at 4 inches of lift.
My advise wait and save your money till you can buy a good long arm kit

I did plan on installing a JB Super short SYE along with a new drive shaft. I already have new lines for the brake and shocks would be assumed since stock shocks just don't seem to extend the right lenght when you put on bigger springs ;) Even if I did save for a long arm(which I would love to have) I'd still be on edge of having to install an sye and drive shaft. I guess I'm just trying to find a kit in the 1200 range with good off-road capability and a decent on-road behavior.

As far as it being my DD, how bad could it ride lifted? I've had a YJ for the past 7 years putting on more miles than I like to admit and compared to a YJ these TJ's feel like riding in a Cadilac. Will 4in of lift really make it that bad?

Thanks for the input guys keep it coming!

Last edited:
As far as it being my DD, how bad could it ride lifted? I've had a YJ for the past 7 years putting on more miles than I like to admit and compared to a YJ these TJ's feel like riding in a Cadilac. Will 4in of lift really make it that bad?

Thanks for the input guys keep it coming!

OK a lifted YJ and a lifted TJ are two different creatures. A YJ has leaf springs and uses them to "track" the front and rear diff and support the vehicle. A TJ relies on coils and control arms to keep the differentials straight and the ride smooth.
On a short arm kit with a 4 inch lift, your lower control arms are nearly at 45 degrees, thus they will transfer a lot more road noise and vibration into your jeep.
While the long arm kit moves the lowers pivot point back nearly two feet.

Will a long arm kit make a diffrence? Try this… take a basketball and point your arm at 45 degrees pointing down now bounce the ball and do not allow your wrist nor elbow to bend.
Now take your arm and hold it at 10 degrees (near parallel to the ground). Bounce the ball.

Thanks Utah. I do understand the suspension principles between a YJ and a TJ. Two very differt beasts. I also understand that a long kit is way better than a short kit for many reasons, but the ultimate factor here is the almight buck.

Basically if I put more money into the lift, that means my tire fund, Sye fund and skid fund all suffer. Leaving me with a sweet long arm lift but no tires to put under it. By all means I do understand that a long arm is the way to go and it definately improves the Jeeps handling when being lifted to that hight. I guess if you can find me a long arm kit for 1200, I'm sold. But untill they make a cheap long arm kit I'm trying to do with what I have.

Thanks again. I do appreciate the info.

Well for the price, I've always been very very impressed with the RE 4.5 Super Flex. I have several friends that run with me that impress me every time we're out.

I totally agree with everyone on the short arm shortcomings.
I have a rough country 4" lift in my TJ and it rides like a tank..not just because of the short arm angles and such but also because its just a cheaply made lift.
I DON'T recommend it to you but make the point that you get what you pay for.

Once more money comes in..i am going with a Klayton lift,Rockkrawler lift or Rubicon Express and it will definitely be a long arm no matter what.

However..i understand your situation...i put in a cheap lift due to the almighty buck so i could afford other things too.

If it has to be between BDS or FT..i'd go FT...just my preference.

Oh and i don't have an SYE on mine either....though i do plan on it in the future
I had only a slight vibration at 60mph but decided to improve it by oblonging the holes in the brackets the upper rear arms connect to.
No vibrations or problems at all now.

Last edited:
Speaking of cheap lifts, i've been looking at Rough Country's Rock Krawler 4in long arm kit. So far, I've found no one who runs this kit. I know RC is a cheaper lift brand, but is it worth putting in a cheap LA or a well respected pricier SA? In the long run it's gonna be about the same price since I was going to put an Nth Degree Tummy tucker on with an SA kit. What do y'all think?

http://www.roughcountry.com/rock_krawler_tj_suspension_4xl.htm

Price I can get it at is much closer to 1700.

Speaking of cheap lifts, i've been looking at Rough Country's Rock Krawler 4in long arm kit. So far, I've found no one who runs this kit. I know RC is a cheaper lift brand, but is it worth putting in a cheap LA or a well respected pricier SA? In the long run it's gonna be about the same price since I was going to put an Nth Degree Tummy tucker on with an SA kit. What do y'all think?

http://www.roughcountry.com/rock_krawler_tj_suspension_4xl.htm

Price I can get it at is much closer to 1700.

I would put the pricier LA in.
It's just a nicer ride and you can upgrade it with better stuff down the road.

2 Cents Take It Or Leave It. I Install Lift Kits At Work Alot. The 4" Kits We Do Are Tuff Country,fab Tech,superlift. I Havent Had The Chance To Install The Kits You Are Thlking About But I Think That The Fab Tech Is The Best Kit. They Have A Couple Of Kits To Choose From. "just 2 Cents"

Back