trailer lights - where is the connector that the harness goes to?

fast_Z28_guy

rigging the 03 jeep wrangler for towing our boat.

hitch is all in, but i need help with the trailer light wiring harness.

got the "plug n play" harness and tracked down what i thought was the connector it went to inside the rear driverside fender, towards the back.

hooked it all up and hooked up to the trailer. lights are all whacky

only passenger brake light works, no passenger turn signal though....
drivers turn signal makes the passenger side signal blink...WTF??

i have a feeling it is the trialer (although the old owner said they worked fine)...but i didn't have time to mess with it. and i'm going out of town for a few days. can't imagine they are that F-ed up and he tried to BS me. he's a straight guy...coworker...so i trusted him.

figured i'd post it and see if you guys have any ideas.

is it possible i have the wrong plug connector up under the jeep??

thanks guys

is it a flat 4?
Who wired the boat trailer?
Sometimes people wire a tow rig and trailer together but the connections are not standard and when you hook up to a factory wired rig, it needs rewired.

you mean a 4 pin connector?? YES

i hear you on the "creative" wiring thing.

drove the jeep to work today..gonna hook it up to a functioning trailer and see what happens...should tell me if its the vehicle or the trailer.

thanks.

ugh...more things to fix on the boat!!!

update...it isn't the trailer

where the FK is the connector??

the harness is for 98-04 wranglers...so it's the right harness

the directions say the connector is on the passenger side under the mud flap...i'll be damned if i can find it!!!

the one on the driver side still doesn't work...plugs are right...but the lights are all whacked out as stated above

help

come on guys....i need to tow this thing this weekend.

SOMEONE on here must have a jeep with a trailer hitch!!!!

just tell me which side the wires lead to for the tail light harness...PLEASE!!

Mine was installed at a trailer place.............got a green/yellow headin' to the pass. side and a brown/yellow headin' to the driver's side.

update...it isn't the trailer

where the FK is the connector??

the harness is for 98-04 wranglers...so it's the right harness

the directions say the connector is on the passenger side under the mud flap...i'll be damned if i can find it!!!

the one on the driver side still doesn't work...plugs are right...but the lights are all whacked out as stated above

help

I hope you have cooled off a bit.

Maybe you should get a test light and figure out which is which. That's how I did mine. Of course after I was finished I opened up the owners manual and they were all listed there. I don't remember all the wires, but I can tell you for sure that the back-up lights are the purple wire.

Maybe you should get a test light and figure out which is which. That's how I did mine. Of course after I was finished I opened up the owners manual and they were all listed there. I don't remember all the wires, but I can tell you for sure that the back-up lights are the purple wire.

Yup, the test light would be the logical way to go about it, IMO.

FINALLY found it ...

way way way up inside the rear body panel behind the tail light. i got frustrated and jsut started tugging on wires...eventually the plug came down and i was able to splice the harnass in.

Back