hard starting

hepcat75

89 jeep wrangler with 4.2 with two barrel webber aftermarket carburator.

My problem; when my jeep sits for more than 12 hours it hard to start. You have to pump the crap out of the gas peddal and then it will go. I noticed that by letting it sit for over 12 hours and taking the air cleaner off and opening the butterflies and pumping it there is no gas. This jeep has a new fuel pump, spark plugs, wires, fuel filter and coil. ounce it's running it runs but has a slight miss during acceleration.

I don't understand why the carburator float bowl would go dry so quickly unless this is normal.

Any ideas thanks:D

might have the floats set wrong. it would let only a lil fuel in , enough to run the engin, and then cause a hard start

My Weber did the exact same thing. I don't see how the gas can drain out since it comes in from above the bowl. My guess is that it bleeds off enough pressure that you have to crank a while to build pressure back up.
I finally gave up and put a MC2100 on it. Now I just pump the gas once to set the choke and it fires right up. I'll be selling the Weber after the first of the year. I'm just waiting to make sure the Motorcraft does all I want first.

Is there anywhwere I can see some pics of a weber carb taken apart so I can figured out how to stop the gas from leaving the float bowl?

You might check with RedlineWeber.com to see if they have any help they can give you. They were pretty good about communication when I was trying to get a throttle linkage kit.

Thanks all but I think I will try and see if my idle mixture screw is to far out. I fould that info through hours of searching on here. It says that if your idle mixture screw is to far out it will bleed off the gas in the bowl.

Well see if this does the trick.

Back