O-ring/gasket on Carter BBD 2 barrel carb?

MadMiracle

Hey everyone,

I have a question regarding a part that came with my carburetor rebuild/repair kit. I have a Carter BBD 2 barrel carb without a stepper motor and vacuum throttle positioner. Hope someone here who's rebuilt this carb can help me.

When I took apart and removed the step-up-piston/spring assembly I noticed what looked like an O ring around the spring, but it's not mentioned or shown in the exploded diagram view that came with my worksheet instructions, nor is it mentioned in any of it's adjustment instructions. My Haynes manual doesn't have it shown there either.

My rebuild kit DID COME WITH that same O ring, but where should it go. The obvious answer would be to put it where the old one was, but for some reason I can't see why it would go there other than to protect the bottom of the piston. I also noticed that that O ring fits nicely around the recess where the large check ball goes. I can see it going there to keep the plunger from hitting the check ball, but with the plunger adjustment I made the plunger probably doesn't contact it anyway.

Should I put it where the old one was, in the check ball recess or disregard it since it's not mentioned in the diagram? [addsig]

For those of you who are curious, I found out what that little ring gasket was for. It was for in between the choke housing and the body flange. It WAS in the digram, and I must've gone over it dozens of time. Well, anyways I can't replace that gasket because the screws that hold the housing to the flange are on way too tight, but at least I know it doesn't go in the barrel of the step-up piston or the check ball recess.[addsig]

Back