Rust Protection

Quik8slvr

I've got a whole lot of free time coming up this january because schools out for a month and a half so i think im going to be kind to my jeep and give the frame, engine bay, and other various parts a nice coating of some kind of rust protectant, i just wanted to see if you guys had tried anything and what works the best...as always im looking for the cheapest/most effective option so far the only thing i've really had to consider is POR-15, and Rustolium...just want to see what else is out there and what works the best[addsig]

I'm working on a frame up rebuild. On the frame, I wire brushed the whole thing, primed and painted it with rustoleum and then rustoleum camo-black. The frame has been out in the sun and the rain for 6 - 7 months with out any trouble(no rust, peeling or fadeing), but I'm not sure how it will do once the it gets put back together.

On the underside of the body, I'm partially done with the POR-15. I have to buy it little by little, but a little bit seems to go a long way. The only problem with it is it must be put on rust or bare metal - so, if there's not a lot of rust, you have some more de-painting to do. Plus, if is cold, it takes 3 - 4 days to cure; when it's done, it makes this weird coating but it seems to be pretty damn tough...

for what its worth

gunner[addsig]

I managed to get a gallon of aluminum Oxide paint. It is the stuff they paint bridges with, and let me tell you,it is some tough stuff for the frame and whatever else. Only thing is its red. Its lead based and you have to be liscenced to buy it but if you know someone who can get it go for that. better then POR[addsig]

This may really sound stupid, and I have never herd of this being done, but would it be posible to paint it up with the hurculiner crap so many use inside the tub? If it will hold up so well to foot traffic on the floors looks like it could be pretty good on the frame, inside the fenders, and on the belly of your tub. Tug
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Tug, the other day i actually saw something along those lines, only thing is it was "Line-X" as opposed to hurculiner, im guessing it would hold up im not really sure i didnt get a chance to talk to the guy, the only thing was, he had more than just his frame done, he did the whole body, it was like he just coated the entire jeep in Line-X, inside and out
image-missing.png
...kind of an interesting paint job if you ask me[addsig]

I sandblasted a frame and underbody(just to rough and blow off the loose stuff) and put on two coats of rustolium primer (red or brown) and coat of black rustolium enamel (mostly with a foam roller) and sprayed it lightly with rustolium enamel (just to smooth it a bit) and then hit some of the critical points, above the gas tank and other mud traps with some stuff called undercoating primer. It´s been going good for 15 years. I tend to stay away from regular undercoating as it´s hard to remove if you have to do some welding and tends to soften up in the summer and hold dirt, sand and such. The draw backs to rustolium are it takes days to dry and up to a half a year to really cure right.

I´ve seen the red (lead based paint) used under dump trucks and stuff, seems to hold up good.

Be a little careful of some sealers and such, as sometimes water gets underneath and rusts under the coating. Most good primers have a rust inhibitor, top coatings used on unprimed metal, can cause problems.

I used one high quality primer designed for galvinized steel (the company went belly up, but I´m sure there is a comprable product out there) that I´ve used on bumpers and such, seems to last really good and doesn´t really need a top coat.

When I know I´m going to be in the deep stuff I often spray the bottom with bio-degradable chain saw oil, really helps with cleanup and tends to stay in the cracks and such (smells like a giant french fry if you spray it on the muffler).

Most paints and such are designed to apply above 70 F. and hard to apply and dry at lower temps. Fast drying automotive paints mixed with a catalist are the exception, but are expensive.[addsig]

i went with the rust oleum thinking it would prevent rust. it didnt. must be something the iowa roads have on them. there were little spots of rust all over the painted areas within 2 weeks of painting. not sure if i did something wrong or if it was salt or de icer stuff (it was during the winter) i hear good things about it tho and willprobably try it again and hope for different results. another thing to try would be cleaning it all up, primin it and then sprayin it down with undercoat/liner something like that. something rubbery like Linex or something. ive hear taht works. ~master[addsig]

Back