Grinding into gear

Running Target

when i try to shift into 2nd and 3rd i can feel it grind, i can't even think about downshifting, i'm asuming that my syncrozes have gone bad, any-one else have any other ideas before i rip out my transmission?

Let me guess... an Aisan Warner AX5 or AX15 5 speed manual in a Wrangler. You have GL5 oil in the transmission, right?

If so, yeah your synchros are bad. GL5 has sulfer in it and it corrodes and eats away the brass synchonizers. Your best bet is to replace it as a rebuild will cost the same if not more than a replacement.

Put Redline MT90 in the transmission and your shifting may improve to the point you don't need a rebuild, right away anyway.

Let me guess... an Aisan Warner AX5 or AX15 5 speed manual in a Wrangler. You have GL5 oil in the transmission, right?

If so, yeah your synchros are bad. GL5 has sulfer in it and it corrodes and eats away the brass synchonizers. Your best bet is to replace it as a rebuild will cost the same if not more than a replacement.

Sounds about right. But if you know someone that can rebuild them, the parts are cheap. If you want to travel to Michigan, I can direct you to the guy.. :lol:

my nv3550 has the same prob grinds into second if your going to fast or try to downshift .. i changed the syncromesh and it helped some i'm just going to drive it until it fails then swap in a NV4500... i hate not being able to downshift so i feel your pain good luck with it

thanks, just hoping there may be some easy fix before i go through the trouble of replacing, found out i can get a re-built for 700 so i guess i drop a lil more
$ into the ole jeep, (an ax15 by the way), Kinda wish this happened a month ago when i put a knew cultch in.

Back