Turbo 2.5L Wrangler?

jfrabat

I got a hold of a PDF file that shows you how to install a Garrett T3 turbo on a 2.5L engine... Now, before you go bashing me, I am not planning on doing the mod, but I did think it makes for interesting reading.

A little background on the proect:

1. Turbo used is a Garrett T3 with intercooler
  2. Boost is only 5~8 PSI (stock engine wont take more than 8 according to the file)
  3. New injectors are needed
  4. MAP sensor needs to be tricked
  5. Turbo is set up on the passenger side (where the AC compressor would sit)

Now, the reasons for me not doing such a mod are:

1. Turbo lag would be an issue when offroading (although the guy that did this mod says the lag is negligeable)
  2. I dont know if the transmission and other drive train parts would be able to handle the increase in power (again, though, the guy that did it says his, also a 94YJ is running fine after the mod)
  3. I dont know the reliability of the engine with this mod
  4. I live in Florida and plan to take this Jeep to Panama (Central America), so an AC is a MUST for me!
  5. The intercooler piping would probably reduce the fans cooling power (again, because of where I live and plan to use the Jeep, not good!)

It would be good to run bigger tires, but I think I prefer to just change gears to 4.56 or 4.88...

But I wanted to know peoples opinion about this mod, as it does sound interesting.

Felipe

Care to share the PDF?

I think its a great idea if the engine will hold up to it. I have seen pictures and heard claims and all that stuff. It seems to be a great mod. I'm very interested in seeing how its done.

I like the idea of more power, but I am not 100% sure if the 2.5L engine will take it on the long run. If I were to do it, I would not boost more than 5 PSI; just enough to give the engine a little more punch, but not enough to do ny serious damage to it.

But I still dont like the idea of the way a turbo behaves with the offroad needs; it would be GREAT for everyday driving, but I am not so sure it would be good for offroading... By the way, the guy claims his MPG improved with the turbo (about 4 mpg more).

Felipe

Might be kinda cool, but there are other ways I'd rather spend my mod money in the mean time. Personally, having driven vehicles with both turbo and superchargers, I'd rather have a supercharger in a Jeep, for the same reasons you said about lag-time off road. But, on the other hand, with my style of wheeling, I've got enough power as it is. I'm not one to use lots of power when wheeling, I prefer finesse and skill to get me through, over, and around obstacles, but I'm sure for many Jeepers, more power would be great. Maybe my opinion would change if I had a Jeep with more power to begin with, but pretty much all I've wheeled is a 4-banger Toyota pickup and my YJ, and I'm used to the lack of power. I think if I were to get into something now with a lot more power, I'd definitely break something or kill myself!:lol:

Who posted the thread last year about the supercharger made with a leaf blower? Was that Snitty or Junkpile?

I'm thinking you probably wont see much of an improvement in power off road, but I don't picture you losing any either. And honestly, how much have you needed more power off-road? I'm not saying you never will, or that you'd never use it if you had it, but do you need it?

My other concern for you would be this. If you use a turbo you may very well have to run a higher octane gas. While this wouldn't be much of a concern for most, I think I recall you saying that you go into Mexico a lot and I've read that it is hard to get good gas down there. Thats just what I've read though, I've never been there.

Yes... Did he do anything to the internals of the engine to run it? I can't see it hurting offroad performance and it certainly would help on the road. On the rocks with alot of low end torque i can't see it doing much but in the mud and some hill climbs where the engine can wind up it would help. I've looked into it before but never could find anything.

Cheaper and easier to do a 50hp nitrous kit. Don't have to worry about overheating or intercoolers or losing your A/C. Plus you could find other cool uses for the nitrous.

The only changes in the engine were new fuel injectors for more volume of fuel to go with the increased airflow. Honestly, I dont think it is a bad idea if you keep the boost to 5PSI, but I just have a great deal of things I need to do to my jeep that go before this one, so I will not be doing it anytime soon.

Also, the reliability factor is a big unknown. The guy who did it told me he had 3K miles on his Jeep since the conversion. Since mine is a daily driver, that is not nearly enough reference for me to consider his Jeep reliable. So I'll wait until he rolls around a bit more before running to do my trbo conversion. But it is possible I will end up doing it down the line.

Red,

I think even in the rocks it could be beneficial if you change gears to say, 4.88 or higher, as then, in L4 the crawl ratio would be fairly slow, and you could rev your engine a bit more and have the turbo kick in. What I worry about is the axles and shafts holding up to more power at one end, and larger tires at the other. This would significantly increase stress on parts known not to handle stress to well... So this mod would probably involve new shafts and axles (8.8 maybe?), so it would be done AFTER all the other mods are finished, and that should be a good couple of years in the future...

Felipe

How much would this cost?

According to the guy that did it, around $400... According to me, about $700, as I would think twice about putting suche delicate parts from a junkyard in my engine... I know they can turn out to be fine, but in cases like a Turbo and an electric fan, I prefer to get the parts from somewhere else to make sure they are not already damaged from poor maintenance, harsh usage, or from just sitting around...

Felipe

It is futile to resist. Give in to the dark side of burning tires and dual exhaust.

Back