Redline transmission oil for an NSG370???

TwistedCU

Anyone know which, if any, Redline manual transmission oil is compatible with the NSG370 6 speed in my '05 Unlimited?

Okay so from what I read neither of the redline manual transmission fluids/oils meet the specs for the NSG370 OR the NV3550 5 speed.

SO far I have found Amsoil MTF and Royal Purple Synchromax. Anybody ever use either of these?

I also read of people using Pennzoil Synchromesh but I want to go full synthetic on this transmission. I have read of it having 1st to 2nd gear shifting trouble. I can see how that would be... it's just not a smooth shift. I have to pause in neutral for a split second to make it a truly smooth shift.

Anybody else with the new 6 speed not liking that? I thought at first that I just needed to get used to it and better find the sweet spot to shift but there really is none.

I even drove a new one and it was the same :(

I saw two separate claims on other forums that synthetics really help this. It's got to be worth a shot.

Last edited:
I think you're fine with either the Amsoil or the Royal Purple. I've read good testimonials about the Royal Purple.

You may ask Redline directly if they have something that'll work.

I think you're fine with either the Amsoil or the Royal Purple. I've read good testimonials about the Royal Purple.

You may ask Redline directly if they have something that'll work.

I emailed both Redline and Royal Purple, asking for oils/fluids specific to my Jeep that would keep the warranty valid. RP responded today:
Harry,

All of these will work in your Jeep:

4.0L inline 6 cyl engine- 5w30 or 10w30

NSG370 6 speed manual transmission- Synchromax 1.5 liters

NP231 transfer case- Synchromax 1 liter

Dana 30 front axle and a Dane 44 rear- Max Gear 75w90 (front 1.2 or 1.9 liters/ rear 1.7 or 1.9 liters)

Have a great day and thank you for choosing Royal Purple.

Kyle Neal

Technical Sales Represenatative

Nothing from Redline as of yet, but I'll post when they do.

I'm not going to put anything other than Mopar oil and LS additive in the D44 until the warranty is up.

Hi TC - I'm assuming that my '06 4.0 Wrangler has the same 6-speed as yours - it has a minor issue from 1st to 2nd as well - generally speaking it feels like the syncro is going bad and "clips" 2nd gear ever so slightly on a normal shift - a little slower shift and it is OK - have 10K on the Jeep now and am going to have stealership document it at next oil change (I'm not working on it until it's out of warranty!) I did quickly breeze thru the owners manual and did not see any mileage listed for the transmission fluid to be changed....ever! Makes me wonder if it needs pampering like the AX-5 as far as fluid is concerned??? LBR

Hi TC - I'm assuming that my '06 4.0 Wrangler has the same 6-speed as yours - it has a minor issue from 1st to 2nd as well - generally speaking it feels like the syncro is going bad and "clips" 2nd gear ever so slightly on a normal shift - a little slower shift and it is OK - have 10K on the Jeep now and am going to have stealership document it at next oil change (I'm not working on it until it's out of warranty!) I did quickly breeze thru the owners manual and did not see any mileage listed for the transmission fluid to be changed....ever! Makes me wonder if it needs pampering like the AX-5 as far as fluid is concerned??? LBR
LBR - I must have missed your reply! Thanks for the info. It's pretty frustrating.

Still haven't switched to synthetic, but I plan to this weekend if I can find the time.

Back