hard shifting

laxpug19

ive been having this trouble since i got the jeep, about 8 months ago. But im fed up with it now. Most times when i try to go into reverse its hard to go it, i either have to go to neautral then 1st the quickly into reverse. If i try to force it into reverse it sounds like gear grind. Sometimes i get it in neutral, then push and let off on the clutch a couple times and it'll go in. Anyway to fix it?

Try going into 3rd or 4th then into reverse... I had another SUV that had the same problem, and that helped.

Sounds to me like the main shaft is still spinning with the clutch in. Maybe worn clutch, hydraulic system problem, or a shift sleeve or bearing binding in the transmission. What transmission is it?

AX5 if a 4banger, AX15 behind the 4.0L engine. Either way, it is typical of that transmission when you use the (incorrectly) factory recommended gear oil. The recommended GL5 is corrosive to the soft brass synchros and causes the hard shifting.

Drain your fluid and you'll likely see the telltale signs of brass glitter in the fluid, that used to be your synchronizers. Put Redline MT90 in and it may not be too late, most report improved shifting after using the Redline. It's a full synthetic that is well worth the extra cost, smooth shifting even in freezing weather.

Back