I can not shut my jeep off

hunterjim-84CJ7

Hello all, i am new to the group and new to Jeeps. i just picked up a 1984 CJ with the 258 motor to restore. when i got it the owner said the stater was bad. lucky me i have a fried that owens a salvage yard with a few CJ's so i picked up a starter and new fuel pump and filter and my god the jeep started and ran like a kitten. this jeep was off the road for 10 plus years! well to my point it runs so good i cant turn it off from the key! does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this problem? thanks for your help...

1984 Jeep CJ7
258 6 cyl

Change your voltage regulator, if it is bad it will continue to send current to your ignition. I just went through this whole thing with my 67 mustang.

Sorry, I was still in mustang mode, the voltage regulator is probably an internal one... inside the alternator that is. I never worked on any wrangler older than my 91, but if you don't see the regulator bolted to a fender apron or something it's probably internal which means you would have to change the alternator.

Joop

Last edited:

Yeah, the regulator should be internal on this Jeep. So if Joopin is correct on the diagnosis, a new alternator is in order.

No good, i picked up a New Alternator and installed still the same problem. i also had the orig one cked and its good as well. a friend told be to check the Rod on the colum and see if it was making contact with the Switch and i can here a click when i turn the key off. so i changed the steering solum just to see and still the same problem. I'm at a loss does anyone have a clue? thanks still Running In NY....

i have installed a battery disconnect on my 89 for the purpose of keeping one battery isolated. you might need to do this to your rig and isolate the alt and starter all in one switch . i'm not familar with the wireing on your rig but i'm betting its simple. so if you cant get the proper fix done. you could install a battery disconnect on it a s fix.all it will require is to cut power going to the coil so the engin will not be able to provide spark. its a thought

Thanks slo-wrench44 but i would like it to work as it should useing the key. i have been doing some reserch does anyone have the wire diragram for the Diode fix AKA alternator Run on fix, I see write-up but need the diagram thanks

there is an ignition module on top of the steering column, way under the dash. There would be a metal rod running from the ignition down to the module. The module makes everything go (or turn off). They were notorious for going bad. There would be a bunch of wires attached to it.

Oops, I see you changed the column, I missed that the first read. I would still guess it has something to do with that module or the wiring to it.

Last edited:

Thanks Jeepr,

But after working with an experience troubleshooter in less then 5 min he found the starter solenoid to be bad. i replaced it and the jeep works as it should. Many thanks to those who help me get through this problem... Jim

Thanks Jeepr,

But after working with an experience troubleshooter in less then 5 min he found the starter solenoid to be bad. i replaced it and the jeep works as it should. Many thanks to those who help me get through this problem... Jim

Yee haw!!! Another satisfied Jeepz customer (even though we didn't come up with the right solution, I'm sure we would have eventually...well, not we as in me and anyone else, I never would have come up with that, but we as in the collective Jeepz gang).8)

Back