1997 tj 4wd will not engage... help!

lushpupp

Ive got a 97 jeep tj wrangler... problem is, my 4wd wont engage whatsoever. I get no response when i try to engage it. The 4wd guage lights do not go on or anything. I have heard of people having problems with theres saying it makes a noise when they try to engage it, but mine makes no noise at all, absolutely no response?

Im hoping its not the transfer case, but if anyone has any other ideas as to what it could be, it would be greaaaatly appreciated
Thanks

Does the transfer case shift into 4wd smoothly? If so, it could be in 4wd and your indicator light isn't working (bad switch on transfer case, or wiring problem). Most 4wd problems on the TJ are related to grinding, or not going into 4wd at all.

it does shift into it smoothly but thats about it... it doesnt drive the front wheels, no response at all from it... i just get absolutely no power at all to the front wheels

Somethin' to keep in mind.....unless you have a locker up front, you're only going to get response from one wheel anyway.............I believe on mine, it's the right front.

i jacked it up and there was no response from ne of the wheels, plus, its just terrible in the mud and snow, thats what made me first wonder if it was working or not

Back