89 yj wrangler wont start

cali_671

Just wondering if any one ever expeirience this
well this is my situation i have a 89 jeep wrangler 2.5
was running really good till today......i get in and turn my key
i usually here the fuel pump on and relays click and my jeep starts fine..
now i turn my key i dont here my pump or the relays.....i tried running the pump direct the pump works but the jeep wont start ............i check for spark there isnt any.....then at times i go and turn the key i here the pump and relays click it starts up then just dies...............so has any one ever expeirience this...i replace all relays and fuse i can see........is there any fuse or relay that i can check that you think i missed......................if anyone can help me please .......i love my jeep and dont want to get rid of it cause of this problem

first off, welcome to jeepz!!! i have an 89 and the biggest problem i had w/not starting was the ECM (electronic control module) - the little "black (actually silver) box" that lives in the engine bay that controls everything (mine is under the radiator recovery bottle on the driver side - great place for an electronic device... nice and cool - catch the sarcasm there?!?!?!) - test it per your manual or you can check your coil, battery connections, all the basics - but its prob. the ecm that fell victim to the gremlins... g'luck and let us know how it turns out... we can usually help here - and welcome again....

thanks for the advise ........and thanks for the welcome ........anyways my jeep is a 4 cylinder where else can i find that part is it in the engine bay or in the jeep ....i checked under the coolant reservoir and under the battery and i cant seem to find it....would it be posible that it might be in the jeep???

could be under the dash - like behind the glove box - im not sure w/the 4cyl... sure someone on here will have some advice - you can search on here for it as well.... g'luck!

Check on the firewall below your brake master cylinder area. Mine's a black plastic gell encased ECM. Your's being an 89 might be different looking, but thats where mine is located. Stupid question, but you battery does have charge right?

thanks guys for all the good advise...........however i found the problem
it was my ground wire next to the emergency brake....saw it was loose tightened it now its good...so thanks

funny how the simplest thing can make you scratch the bigges holes in your head!!!! glad to hear it wasn't major!!! hang around! who knows who'll you'll end up helping out later!

Back