YJ stereo/in-dash speaker install completed!

TWDJ

Well, I finally got the project completed after purchasing and installing a new Kenwood 50x4 in-dash tuner/CD, 2-Infinity 4"x6" two-way speakers (in-dash) and 2 matching Infinity two-way 4" speakers (in a Sky-Pod). Some observations:

1 - The whole "speaker-in-the-dash" thing was not at all as bad as I thought. I went ahead and laid down the windshield and removed all the dash bolts/screws. This also gave me an opportunity for checking the WW wiper motor and see if there was evidence of any leaks. This allowed me (meathooks for hands) to have all the room necessary to move around.

2 - The only thing in my way from the bottom (driver's side) was the E-brake release and the door light. The light I never have connected anyway so it was removed. The E-brake handle was rotated 90* and was not an issue after that.

3 - I went ahead and spiced the B+ and accessory (Acc) circuit together for the radio. The directions say you can run the battery dead if you connect Acc direct to B+, which means I need remember to turn the radio off. I've already been trained to pick up my dirty clothes, put my dishes in the dishwasher and put the seat down ... this should be no more difficult.

4 - There was never a clock installed in this rig, so the under-dash fuse panel actually has a female spade connection marked "clock" that is always hot. By putting a spade connector on the fused B+/Acc wires, I found a convenient and positive power source. The Ground I ran to the door strap connection by the driver as that was the best connection I could find.

5 - The Sky-Pod is way cool. I'm running the front channels to the in-dash speakers and the rear to the Sky-Pod. I reversed L and R on the Sky-Pod so it is almost like each person in the front seat has their own headphones. The folks in the back get good volume and almost a mono blend but, as we rarely carry passengers, this is no problem.

Took a drive last night. It's not a thumper but WOW ... sounds way better than EVER before. Glad I took the plunge. Thanks for all the really great info on this process and I hope this gives the next guy some confidence that it is a VERY doable project.

TWDJ,

Excellent write up... Too bad you did not buy a Sony system! (I work for Sony, and I am the marketing manager for all Audio produts for Latin Americca, so I had to say that!)

Anyway, I felt a little bad because I never got around of showing what I did in my rig, so I figured I'd take this opportunity to show what I did and explain why I did some things differently than you did...

First thing I did was replace the very old, beat up Sony head unit that came in my car with a new unit that not only was MP3 capable, but also had many more features (line AUX line-on for listening to my Walkman MP3 players, frequency crossover controls, and subwoofer pre-out). Since I had no idea about the condition of the speaker cables (the previous owner had installed a stereo system and had not done a very good job at it), I decided I would use new cables for all speakers, and would take this advantage to use better quality cables for less drop in power due to impedance.

My jeep came with a Sound Bar, which had very rusted and damaged Jensen speakers. The dash speakers, although not as badly damaged, did have a lot of play in them, which caused distortion. Since none of the speakers were located in a satisfactory location (the dash speakers focus only on one of the 2 passangers, and the sound bar speakers point straight down, so it is a similar case), I decided to relocate all 4 speakers. I also decided to use larger speakers to improve sound quality (especially bass sound).

So I got a set of sound wedges (these go between the wheel well and the roll bar) that take 6X9 speakers, and mod-pods (which go below the doors) that take 5.25" speakers. After installing the pods, I wired the speakers speakers using 16G wire with very thick insulation to avoid any unwanted noises coming from the speakers. I then installed some high density layered diaphragm (made from many layers of different plastics, which witstand water and sunlight much better than other materials) 4-way speakers for both front and rear speakers.

Since I was going to use a subwoofer, I needed to place an amplifier somewhere. But because the whole SW setup would be removed for offroading (no sense in getting it damaged when it is easy to remove!), I made a special wooden mount for the amp under the driver seat which can be removed by unscrewing only one screw (you still have to detach all the cables from the amp, but I dont go offroading too often so as to be needing quick disconnects or anything similar). I still have not gotten around to it, but I plan to cover the wood frame with black sunbrella fabric to match the interior of the Jeep.

As for the amp connection, I ran a direct line from the positive battery terminal through the firewall, and directly to the amp, and used an in-line fuse to protect it (when disconecting the amp, I only need to remove the fuse to kill the line), and then grounded the amp to the floor under the driver seat. Then I ran speaker wire to the rear to drive the SW unit, which is a 12" aluminum unit in a case I had in my Nissan rig back home (the box seems to have been made especially for the Jeep, though, as it fits perfectly in the rear behind the rear seat).

I am attaching some pictures of how the whole thing looks. This setup allows you to still listen to music at a very respectable (loud according to my wife) level even when the top is removed.

DSC02247-2.jpg

Here you can see both the front speaker (in the mod-pod) and the head unit. The damage to the dash on the left lower side of the head unit was done by the previous owner, who did a very poor job of installing the previous unit (and damaged the dash in the process; I had to fix it as best as I could using fiberglass on the rear part of the dash, as he apparently sawed through it to fit the head unit).

DSC02250-2.jpg

This picture shows the sound wedge and the 6X9 rear speakers. Both the sound wedges and the mod-pods are filled with a special synthetic fabric to create the filling of a larger speaker box

DSC02251-2.jpg

Here is the 12" aluminum subwoofer (facing forward, as it normally sits). The duct of the SW box "shoots" under the rear seat for maximum bass effect. Notice that on this picture, the head unit's face has been detached (I ussually take it with me when I leave the car).

DSC02252-2.jpg

I turned the SW unit around for this unit to get a look at the SW driver.

For me, this setup works nicely, as it provides great sound. But if you would like your speakers better protected (from both the elements and theft!), then perhaps TWDJ's setup is better for you.

Felipe

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot to mention that I can also use the AUX line-in on the stereo to connect a CB, and use the Jeep's sound system as an external speaker setup for the CB (this should allow me to hear the CB no matter what). I have not yet installed the CB, but I plan to get one of those really small units and install it where the ashtray used to be (my YJ came without an ashtray).

Felipe

WOW ... that is a great write-up! And don't apologize for plugging your employer. I work for Apple and don't miss many opportunities, either. I will get some pics taken and uploaded after the weather clears up.

You make a great point about speaker placement being critical. With the in-dash locations the driver hears the driver side speaker well, the passenger hears the passenger speaker well and the opposite channel not so well. That is the reason I wired the Sky-Pod in reverse so you get full channel signals to each seat. I liken it to headphones, but some may disagree. The relative distance to each person's ears are pretty close and the difference in height just gives it a little more depth. Not a lot of bass, but when running no top (which is as often as possible) it sounds just fine.

The reason I opted for the Sky-Pod had a lot of factors. Mounting on the floor just under the doors got in my wife's way getting when in. She is vertically challenged and, health-wise, a little unsteady so I wanted to put no more obstacles in her way. And even though I rarely have passengers, the back seat usually stays in and is just rolled forward which got in the way of the speakers placed between wheelwell and roolbar. Believe me when I say all options were given much consideration ... except for a soundbar. That never really appealed to me much and I'm not sure why.

And using the aux input for CB ... why didn't I think of that? Installing a CB is my next project and I was trying to place an auxiliary speaker. jfrabat, you're a genius!

I work for Apple and don't miss many opportunities, either.

Good thing I specified I was using a Walkman and not an iPod! :lol:

Mounting on the floor just under the doors got in my wife's way getting when in. She is vertically challenged and, health-wise, a little unsteady so I wanted to put no more obstacles in her way.

Mine keeps complaining about the speaker being in her way; but that is why I made sure the sound system was LOUD! I can just turn it up, and all of the sudden, I dont hear her anymore! ;)

Just kidding; you are right. My wife is 5'10", and she still complains about the speaker location. Not to mention that it would get mud and water when offroading (I dont really mind about that, though, as I can replace them at extremely little cost; but that is not the case for most Jeepers) every time you would get in and out of the jeep. The location I chose also makes them more obvious to people outside the Jeep, so theft also becomes an issue. I ussually ride with the hard top on, so this is not such a big thing; but when I do take the top down (on the weekends), I do have to be carefull where I park because of this...

And even though I rarely have passengers, the back seat usually stays in and is just rolled forward which got in the way of the speakers placed between wheelwell and roolbar.

The sound wedges will still allow you to roll your seat forward; the only reason I cannot roll mine is because of the console, which is too big. But since my rear seat was rusted in place when I bought the jeep, and the console was the first thing I ordered for the Jeep, I did not find out until about a month ago when I finally got around to removing all the rust from the rear seat.... And by then, I had taken a liking to the console, so now I can only roll the seat forward about 3/4 of the way (still gives you more room to carry stuff, but not as much as I would have without the console!).

Believe me when I say all options were given much consideration ... except for a soundbar. That never really appealed to me much and I'm not sure why.

I dopnt really like soundbars either. The only reason I kept mine was that it has the map light already installed, and I dont feel like installing a new one on the roll bar. Not optimal speaker location, they are EXPENSIVE, and typically (although not necessarily), speakers are too small anyway! The only nice thing is that they get the speakers out of the way...

jfrabat, you're a genius!

NO ARGUMENTS HERE!!!! :p

Felipe

I recently decided to install a new stereo head unit and in-dash speakers. I needed to as right after that, I started a "Poison Spyder" full roll cage installation. Now if I ever need to change the indash speakers I am probably out of luck!

Great write-ups, guys!

So, how many Band-Aids did it take? IIRC my old 92's dash took a nice hunk of skin off my knuckles :lol:

My YJ is a '93. When I took the dash board apart, I remember finding an old butter knife inside the track at the top. Sure accounted for that 'unknown' noise!

Took the longest time to get used to the lack of noise!

Actually, this project didn't require any band-aids which is usually a concern for me as a blood offering is required for proper project completion. Chalk that up to loosening up the dash, etc.

I DID walk into my bicycle (hanging from the garage ceiling) which created the need for an exercise in expletives ... but that is not fault of the Jeep.

Actually, this project didn't require any band-aids which is usually a concern for me as a blood offering is required for proper project completion. Chalk that up to loosening up the dash, etc.

I DID walk into my bicycle (hanging from the garage ceiling) which created the need for an exercise in expletives ... but that is not fault of the Jeep.
Ah, that's close enough :lol:

jfrabat said:
TWDJ,

Excellent write up... Too bad you did not buy a Sony system!

I wish I never did, I have an Xplod head unit and I've never been happy with it. Always made decent amps though.

My YJ is a '93. When I took the dash board apart, I remember finding an old butter knife inside the track at the top. Sure accounted for that 'unknown' noise!

Took the longest time to get used to the lack of noise!

I've got one of those "mystery objects" sliding back and forth behind my dash, too. I think mine is a pencil.

JF, I like your sound wedges with the cup holders in them! Mine didn't come that way. But, I guess that's ok, since I'd never use them for anything besides mud collection units.

Rear seat? What is that? I've had mine in 3 times in 3 years for about 3 days each. Only time I've had rear-seat passengers.

I considered doing the mod-pods, but don't like the location as for dirt, mud, water and people kicking them when airborne and the inevitable bouncing afterwards. I currently only run 2 speakers, Pioneer 4-way 6x9's in the Sound Wedges. Gives me plenty-o-sound, even with the top off with an El Cheapo WalMart 200-watt amp. When that amp gives up the ghost (I'm surprised it's lasted as long as it has), I'll go with a smaller sized unit with the same power and relocate it. Currently it sits on the transmission hump in front of the shifters. At that point, I'll consider the speaker pods that go on the transmission hump there instead, and go back to a 4-speaker system.

I wish I never did, I have an Xplod head unit and I've never been happy with it. Always made decent amps though.

Snitty,

I am sorry to hear that... We did have some interphase issues with our older lineups, but I think we have corrected that. Was that your problem? Difficulty to operate it as you want it?

I've got one of those "mystery objects" sliding back and forth behind my dash, too. I think mine is a pencil.

When I was wiring up my KC Daylighters, I found 16 parking tickets and a pen in mine! I take it the previous owner was not big on paying the park meters!

JF, I like your sound wedges with the cup holders in them! Mine didn't come that way. But, I guess that's ok, since I'd never use them for anything besides mud collection units.

Thanks, but the cup holders will only hold short and thick coffee mugs; if you use it for soft drinks, or any other "normal" sized drinks, believe me, you'll be WEARING your drink!

Rear seat? What is that? I've had mine in 3 times in 3 years for about 3 days each. Only time I've had rear-seat passengers.

In my case, my niece lives in Miami, and she likes to go ride with me and my wife in my Jeep (after all, what's not to like? good music, the wind in your hair, and the sun shining down on you... Ahhhh... Life does not get any better! Unless there's a little mud, that is!)

I considered doing the mod-pods, but don't like the location as for dirt, mud, water and people kicking them when airborne and the inevitable bouncing afterwards. I currently only run 2 speakers, Pioneer 4-way 6x9's in the Sound Wedges. Gives me plenty-o-sound, even with the top off with an El Cheapo WalMart 200-watt amp.

Center ones are a little better protected. As I said, sound wise, the mod pods were the best option I found; but they are vulnerable to water, mud, feet and thieves.

At that point, I'll consider the speaker pods that go on the transmission hump there instead, and go back to a 4-speaker system.

If you go with the center pods, you might want to consider TWDJ's idea of inverting the sides, so you get stereo sound for each passanger independently....

jfrabat said:
Snitty,

I am sorry to hear that... We did have some interphase issues with our older lineups, but I think we have corrected that. Was that your problem? Difficulty to operate it as you want it?

Nothing ever worked right on it really. I had a friend with the same model. He had the same problems but he was a no-reason Sony fan so he bought the newer model the next time it came out when he needed to replace it. Still had problems with the later one too. Mine wouldn't do much right. It would always skip from the sound it put out until it was warmed up, which would take about a half hour, up to an hour in the winter. When it skipped from bumps, it wouldn't even skip right. I had to hold the volume knob just a certain way to turn it up or down. No attenuation feature, and the buttons would often perform functions of other buttons.

I'll take your word though, that the newer lines are a lot better. I have just come to conclude that Sony was only good for amps and playstations (when the laser track gears work properly). Perhaps things have improved.

Back