Looks like I'll be searching the market

Snitty

A few years back, I did my SOA... Since then, I have not put much effort into upgrading anything until I had to time and money to completely rebuild the YJ. It has worked fine and dandy since then, and has given me no (not many, rather) reason(s) to think I had to upgrade anything. I know it needs a body, and I'd really like to get a new frame. I have somewhat been putting it off, hoping that I'd gradually save the money and be able to do it.

Well last night at about 1am I was faced with a force decision. I was taking a few friends up a mountain to hang out and watch the city lights for the night. About 2/3 the way up, the rear end drops and the Jeep starts going squirrely all over the road. I couldnt' afford to stop, the brakes are not great and there's no way I'm stopping on such a steep incline without rolling back down. Clang clang bang bang... vibrations... rough bumps... loud noises... I finally made it to the top, where I could level out and park. Upon inspection, I found that the front eye snapped off my rear passenger leaf spring. I decided to sweep my worries under the rug, and carefully drove into the side trail about 50 yards off the main trail. I knew there was no way I was gonna get anyone to come rescue me at that time of night, and there was no way I was going to be able to attempt driving back down the mountain. I knew pretty much for sure that I wasn't going to be bothered by anyone... so luckily, we haven't had rain in a few days, so I had plenty of dry leaves and kinder to make a fire.

It would seem to most that breaking a leaf spring at 1am would be a bad thing. But this impromptu camping trip turned out quite refreshing, in fact, just what I needed. After all, I had everything I could ask for... My best friend, two fun ladies, a 12 pack, two folding chairs, a roll out camp mat, my guitar, and all the time I could possibly need. Sun came up, we packed up and I 1st geared it all the way home. Now here I am, telling the tale.

Jeep goes into the back yard this week, I'll be ripping it apart for a restoration this summer. I'll be looking mainly for a body, frame, and decent stock - 2" suspension springs. If anyone has any leads, please share.

Back