Shock mounts rusted off!! Help!!

YJoffroad

So I climb under my Jeep yesterday to replace the fuel filter and I happen to notice that my rear upper shock mounts have completly rusted off the frame!!! on both sides! F****! I've been driving around on just my leafs. My friend told me about some bolt on shock mounts that bolt right to the frame, since i don't have a welder readily avaible. I've called 4 different stores now( Advanced Auto, Napa, Pepboys, ect..) and nothing!! Has anyone heard of these, or know of a better solution? Please help

I don't think you'll find what you need at an autoparts store. There is a company selling an aftermarket crossmember to mount the upper shock mounts to, but I can't find it right now.

Otherwise you may have to find a donor frame to cut them off, or have somebody fabricate you some new mounts. Can't be that difficult, it is a simple stud mount.

Yeah, I know a guy that is amazing at fabbing whatever you want, he's out a welder right now, and I'm trying to find some place that wont rip me off. I'll look around for that cross member that you were talking about also.

Sorry I thought I pasted the link to the shock mounts, go to "Catalog" on the left hand side and I beleive it's the 4th option down on the right side.

LR

I feel your pain, the same thing happened to me. I decided to fab my own mount. This is what I came up with...
http://www.jeepz.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=1667&size=1
watermarkphpfile1668size1-2.jpg

watermarkphpfile1666size1-2.jpg

watermarkphpfile1667size1-2.jpg

Hope this helps, I have more if you need a better look.

Last edited:
LRwrnglr, thanks but i think those are bolt on conversions for the front top mounts.
Joopin, those are awsome pics I like the design too, I saved the pics to make a sketch from, and then i'm going to get the metal and get to work. It's nice to know I'm not the only one this happened to. I was quite disheartened when i got under there and saw that.

Just be sure to keep the bolt in the original mount. You can cut it out of the old one and use it in the one you are fabbing. Also be sure to cut out all the rust of the frame before you weld it on. The base of that mount over hangs the hole by 2 inches on each side just to be sure. If you need more pics of the mount let me know.

I recently had to get a replacement rear upper shock mount for my '93 YJ. The driver's side was replaced before I bought the jeep, and the passenger side was almost rusted through. Went to the local Jeep dealership and got a mount for about $38. I don't know much of anything about welding, so someone else is doing that for me... along with patching the holes in the frame ;) Let us know how you made out with your rig!

Nice, that's good to know that you can actually get that part at the dealership. I called one around me and the guy said that they didn't sell it. I'm going to spend all weekend working on it though. I'll let you guys know how it works out. Thanks

You can actually buy laser cut tabs alot of places now. Blue Torch Fab and many others sell them on line. You can use two tabs welded side by side with enough room between them to insert the shock eye. Then use a standard bolt and nut instead of the shoulder bolt in the picture. Like this:
http://www.bluetorchfab.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=180_48&products_id=105
Drill the hole to the proper bolt size then Cut that curved edge off square and weld it to the inside of the frame rail.

Back