Jeep won't run, need help ASAP

currupt4130

VT Hokie
So a couple months ago, I ran out at Crozet. Towards the end of the day I flopped, and soon after my Jeep started intermittently running on less tahn 4 cylinders.

Well fast forward to this weekend. I pull of the distributor cap and it looks disgusting. So I pulled the distributor, cleaned it out, put on a new cap, and new plugs, and put it all back together.

It ran for a few minutes, then started running on only a few cylinders again. So today, I replaced the CPS (had an extra), and changed the coil. Still no go. I can get the occasional puff of smoke out the intake, but thats all. It has fuel pressure at the rail, but I don't think it's getting spark. I don't know yet cuz I'm working by myself and can't crank it and hold a screwdriver at the same time.

Does anyone have any help or any suggestions on where to go next? My inclination is that the computer is toast. It seems like a firing/firing order issue to me, and everything that controls that has been checked besides the computer.

Anyone? I'm going to Tellico Thursday, so I need to fix this now...

When you put the distributor back together, did you check the timing to make sure it was good? and if you did, you may not have tightened the clamp down tight enough thats holding the distributor in place, causin it to turn slightly as the engine runs. Also, you may have to pull your plugs again and clean them off, chances are they're soaked and won't spark even if you do fix whatever is wrong with it.

Well you replaced the crankshaft position sensor, but are you sure the pick up coil is pulsing the coil?

When you put the distributor back together, did you check the timing to make sure it was good? and if you did, you may not have tightened the clamp down tight enough thats holding the distributor in place, causin it to turn slightly as the engine runs. Also, you may have to pull your plugs again and clean them off, chances are they're soaked and won't spark even if you do fix whatever is wrong with it.

Timing is fixed by the computer.

Take a volt meter and test the cap on ohm settings, you might have a minute crack, the same for the rotor. Pull a battery lead and test the coil packs, you should get a reading across them.

There's got to be someone around who can crank the motor while you pull a plug wire and look for an arc to ground???

Mom? Neighbor? Someone walking their dog? Illegal immigrant mowing said neighbor's lawn? Anyone with a forefinger and thumb...

Back