63 willys cj5 has 3 shifting levers is it rare?

63willysdude

my 63 willys cj5 is an automatic but it has 3 shifting levers for the four wheel drive,also it has a buick v-6,the guy i bought it from said they only made these for two years --is this true?

Hmmm...never heard of such a critter! But, that's not too surprising, as I don't really know much about the earlier Jeep forefathers. What do the levers do? I mean, I could possibly imagine one for 4-hi, one for 4-low, but no clue on what a third would do. Got any pics? I'm sure some of our Jeep guru's here will be able to give you some good info on it. I'd be interested in hearing about it, as well.

Could it be one that has a CV shaft running out of the back? I think they used to be used for farming. I could be wrong but thats my guess.

LR

Could it be one that has a CV shaft running out of the back? I think they used to be used for farming. I could be wrong but thats my guess.

LR

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. I know some earlier Jeeps had a PTO in the back, as well as a PTO that ran a winch on the front bumper. That could very well be what one of the levers is for.

Sounds like it may have a PTO, that would be the extra shaft to the rear for pto driven accessories.

Back