88 YJ Oil Pressure Dropping...Need Help!!!!!!

hooverville

Once my engine gets warm, my oil pressure drops. I am just hope that it is my oil pump and not the bearings. My engine is a remanned 258 I6 and only has 4,000 freaking miles on it. Anybody have some ideas that i can try before going in head first????[addsig]

Is the pressure really high when your jeep is cold and then goes down after it warms up because mine does it too. Under normal running conditions I don't think your Oil pressure should be that high. I know this is a vauge answer but I hope it helps.Evan[addsig]

yeah... my pressure stays at 40 until it warms up, when it idles at 20 psi...[addsig]

could just be a malfunctioning gauge, thats common for jeeps, might want to check that out first[addsig]

Most of the manuals I´ve looked through say 40 PSI @ 2000 RPM warm. The stock oil pressure gauges are notoriuosly wrong.

Have seen a couple of oil pressure relief valves leak (bypass valves).

Had a problem with a filter (wrong filter) that passed more oil than it should. A built in internal bypass (in the filter)stuck open and my oil pressure did a dive.

Also had my pressure drop a little after switching to synthetic oil.

Have also seen worn mains cause this problem.[addsig]

yeah try replacing the oil pressure sending unit it ain't very much $$ it's worth a try.[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE> Have seen a couple of oil pressure relief valves leak (bypass valves).</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Out of curiousity, where are these releif valves located??? I have a massive oil leak on my 2.4L and I can't find where it is coming from... The leak only seems to really get going if I am lugging the engine (ie. 70mph in 5th gear)...[addsig]

I'm assuming you mean a 2.5L engine, sounds like your leak might be from your rear main seal, when my rear main was bad in my old 2.5 it would leak when the engine was shut off, but when it was running, even at idle, it was just a constant drip out of it[addsig]

Heh... Yeah, meant 2.5L...

I don't think it is the main... Oil is only on the passenger side of the engine compartment and all the way up toward the battery... I've replaced the 2 things I thought it might be (Oil sender and dipstick) but neither fixed the problem...[addsig]

Back