fender flair removal on '99 TJ

bruc3

I just bought a used '99 TJ sport and I've been trying to take off the old, faded flairs to paint them. I have gotten the front's off fine, but on the backs I cant get to the clips behind the screws. Am I going to have to take off the inner wheel well? If so, how, and if not how do i retrieve those clips that i lost behind it (i took out 3 screws before noticing.)

thanks,
bruce

I got to them buy poppin' off the plastic jigs that held on the wheel wells and proceeded to take the wheel wells out and it's looking a lot better. I need to buy another can of krylon fusion to put a couple more coats on the flares and maybe some on the bumper caps.

-bruce

Sounds like you got it figured out. I was looking for an old post from about a year or so ago where someone was asking the exact same question. I couldn't remember what their solution was, but I believe they had to take out the fender well liners, also.

BTW, Welcome to the "Z"!! Got some pics of your ride?

thanks for the welcome man! I don't have any pics of the monster yet though, my phone camera went out on me. It's a '99 black TJ with 4" life with rock crawler rims wrapped in 33" Maxxis Buckshots.

I swear by that krylon fusion now. I only had enough to put 2 coats on each flare and it had about 24 hours to cure. It had just rained today so i couldn't resist going down some of the old dirt roads around here and got it ridiculously muddy. I brought my jeep over to the car wash and had the nozzle about 6" away from the flares with no chipping, flaking, or pealing.

thanks for the welcome man! I don't have any pics of the monster yet though, my phone camera went out on me. It's a '99 black TJ with 4" life with rock crawler rims wrapped in 33" Maxxis Buckshots.

I swear by that krylon fusion now. I only had enough to put 2 coats on each flare and it had about 24 hours to cure. It had just rained today so i couldn't resist going down some of the old dirt roads around here and got it ridiculously muddy. I brought my jeep over to the car wash and had the nozzle about 6" away from the flares with no chipping, flaking, or pealing.

Cool! I had heard that fusion was good stuff from others here on the board. I want to go wheeling so bad, but all the local roads I usually run in the mud are flooded again. The Arkansas is out of it's banks once more, as is the Ninnescah, I believe. I know the lake is way out of it's banks, so much so that the shut it all down this weekend. From what I've heard, they told everyone there to pack up and get out on Friday evening! Bummer for them, huh?

Wow, I imagine they were bummed out. If the water is too high, slap a snorkel on 'er and go anyways. I've actually been looking for a good snorkel kit for mine, along with some bumpers and rock sliders.

Send some rain down here. We are 14" behind for the year. News said we are 48" behind over the past two years. It's going to turn into a desert before long. There is no rain in the forecast.

Send some rain down here. We are 14" behind for the year. News said we are 48" behind over the past two years. It's going to turn into a desert before long. There is no rain in the forecast.
You're more than welcome to it. We're only 4.25 over for the year so far, however, we're an inch over for May here. Upstream from us starting at 10 miles extending to 60 miles, they are almost a foot and a half over for the year, with most of that coming in the last two weeks, one storm dropping up to a foot of rain in less than 3 hours, hence the flooding down our way.

Back