What kind of axles are these?

TP83

Im not sure exactly what they are but if iw as to guess i would say a dana 44 and a 60. any other suggestions? Thanks.

and sorry if they are in the wrong thread.

8) D-44 x 2 I think. Cant see scale. Should be cast in the web of center section, or if the tag is still on the diff cover.

Yeah looks like a 44

D44:
dana44-1.jpg

D60:
dana60-1.gif

http://www.coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml

:lol: :lol: My tires ran over currupts signature!:lol: :lol:

thanks, but they do not look exactly the same, is there a difference in the differental case?

sorry, heres a couple more but this is all i got from the seller.

edit: he is saying its a 30 and a 60 but i want to know if thats right because the front does not look like a 30.

Last edited:
Looks like a Dodge set 44 front with a semi float 60 rear. Notice what appears to be Selectro hubs on the front.
I would pass on them. The whole reason to go to a 60 rear is for the strength of the full float. The front hubs aren't great either.

how can you tell what a full float axle is? and for hubs i would probally be putting warns on with a set of lockers.

Dodge axles have an external front hub whereas most others have internal hubs. Search for hubs for that axle and see what is available first.
A full float axle has a wheel hub and spindle (like a front axle that doesn't steer)at the end of the axle tube, whereas a semi-float has a bearing pressed on the axle shaft itself. The full float supports the weight of the vehicle on inner and outer hub bearings riding on the spindle. The semi supports all the weight on a single bearing on the axle shaft. Full float takes a lot of stress off the axle shaft.
Easily identified by the axle bolts at the hub:
14boltend-1.jpg

thanks, i talked to the seller and it seems that they are from a jeep gladiator a d30 and a d60, i will be looking at them today.

There are many better options than this set up. What kind of Jeep are you putting them in. These will only work in a passenger drop CJ, which is what I guess you have and are after a set of axles with the same lug pattern.
If you already have a D30 CJ front then you would be better off with installing a Ford 9" rear. The 9" will give you better ground clearance and the same lug pattern. You will have to find one the right width from a full size bronco.

A full floater has the axle mounted to the brake drum or rotor and you can take the axle out with the wheel off because the axle rides on the diff and drum/rotor hence the name full floater. Where as a semi floater is just like normal.

Here is a full floater.
float-1.jpg

Here is a semi floater.
image-missing.png

Hope you have a better idea now.;)

thanks, took a look and seemed like they were what i was looking for however there is still things that will be considered before i come to any conclusions. They'll be going on a 1980 CJ5 and im thinking about doing a full axle conversion, puting the axles out to about 65" wms and extending it back a little bit so the driveshaft angle is not sevre. this is almost already a non highway jeep so its not like i need it to have great road manors on the roads at about 50 but to cruise around town or from trail to trail. i do have a cj7 that will remain stock/non SOA and thats more of the driver when id want to go out. I do think though that for my cj5 im gonna look at some different axles maybe 60's all around just something to fit some 37s and not have to worry about them breaking down on me. And on these axles i did read the web deal and it said 60-2 and something........35 so i guess i know what they are atleast. Thanks for all the help.

Full float 60s will have an axel flange with 8 bolts holding it to the axel. It will stick out from the rotor (or drum) about 3 in.

A full floater has the axle mounted to the HUB and you can take the axle out with the wheel ON because the axle rides on the diff and HUB hence the name full floater. Where as a semi floater is just like normal.
Fixed the terminology for you.
Note: you can also completely remove an axleshaft from a full floater, stuff a rag in the hole and continue on in 3WD.

Damn seems harder to find a full floater rear and a front with a pass drop. I also noticed that my AMC 20 rear is offset a little bit, any suggestions for a d60 that will meet the criteria for a cj5

well it seems like more but when measuring it its 21.5 to center of pumpkin and 23.5 from the center to the other side so about a 2" difference. this is still a stock 20 rear

Back