Deal or NO Deal? Transmission Problems

rolledwrangler

New here, Cool site.
A guy has a 94 wrangler w/ 2.5l 5 speed about 150k on it, body is decent, a couple holes and rust around front windshield. Says frame looks good, have not seen it yet. will sell with 32" tires. But the transmission will only work in fourth, says rest of the gears don't do anything? any ideas? transmission crap or can it be rebuilt? or just a sheared pin? he is asking 2600 for it. or any ideas on what type of transmission it is and a guess on what a new one or cost on parts would be. thanks you guys on here look like you help each other a lot.

Welcome to the Z.

Not too bad a price. The transmission likely needs rebuilt with new synchronizers. It's cheaper to find a used AX5 to replace the bad one.

Problem with the AX5 and AX15 trannies is that the manufacturer improperly recommended GL5 rated gear oil which is highly corrosive to the soft brass synchronizers. If you change the gear oil in the transmission you will see gold glitter thoughout the gear oil.

thanks for the info, what is the average price for a used transmission? I know depends on the mileage, but a range will work. and for the 4 cylinder, is it at the end of its life? in need of a rebuild soon? Older guy owns it, never really beat on it but did 4wheel.

No matter which option you take (rebuild or new-to-you transmission), drain the fluid and fill with GL3 rated fluid. Like Bounty said, the manufacturer recommended the incorrect fluid. Redline MT90 would be a good addition to the fluid to prolong the life of your gears. Can't offer a suggestion on the replacement price of a transmission, as I've never had to replace or price one.

As far as the life of the 4-banger engine is concerned, that's hard to say without looking at it or even listening to it. So long as the fluids were changed at nearly correct intervals, seals remain in good shape, and you hear no knocking or pinging sounds, it just may last a few tens of thousands of miles for you. Your best bet is to see the vehicle, test drive it, maybe do some poking and prodding, and go from there.

Good luck, and welcome to Jeepz.com! Let us know how everything goes with your purchase.

It'll go 300k with the proper maintenance.

Expect to pay between 125 and 300 for a used transmission, that's what they go for around here.

Redline MT90 is the best you can get for that transmission, cheap insurance.

Thanks for all the help!! I can't find a reasonable transmission around here. So I have another idea. I know I will need new springs(needs a lift anyways), axles and some mods. But I have a strong 350w a 350at with a gear to gear tc outa my old mud truck and was wondering if I should look for a jeep that came with a 4.0 or is the set up pretty much the same w/ a 2.5? I mean frame wise, I know I need to remove the old motor mounts, but after I get to the frame are they similar. I don't see why they wouldn't be, not cost effective for jeep. thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Lowball him on the Jeep.
The only problem is that your Chevy transfer case is made for a passenger drop axle. If you have the Chevy parts to do the swap then go for it...axles and all.
The frames are the same for all the YJ's. There are several companies that make motor mounts for the conversion or you can make your own if you have some fabrication skills.
The exhaust manifolds can sometimes be tight between the frame rails, but they will fit if you position the motor correctly. Some headers won't work. You might need to go with an electric fan either from a Ford Taurus (two speed) or Ford Focus (dual 10" fans).

Thanks for all your help. But i decided to continue looking for a jeep. I actually went and looked at the aforementioned jeep and it was not as described. It was pretty rusted out and full of Micky D bags and I don't think the guy every heard of the word maintenance. So I am looking forward, going to look at a couple Cj's in the next few days, one 85 w/ v-8and stick, and and 86 w/ 4.2 stick with a 3" shackel lift. looks ok in pics.

Thanks for all your help. But i decided to continue looking for a jeep. I actually went and looked at the aforementioned jeep and it was not as described. It was pretty rusted out and full of Micky D bags and I don't think the guy every heard of the word maintenance. So I am looking forward, going to look at a couple Cj's in the next few days, one 85 w/ v-8and stick, and and 86 w/ 4.2 stick with a 3" shackel lift. looks ok in pics.

3" shackle lift?!? :shock: Oooh. Personally, I'd avoid that if I were you. Mostly because I don't like the looks of shackle lifts (anything over 1" of actual lift, anyway). Secondly, a lot of guys will put on a huge shackle lift, and never do anything to correct the driveline angles or the front end alignment, and they tend to be like driving an ice cube on a glacier....all over the road and hard to control.

I was wondering about that shackle lift, didn't seem right. I really don't care for lifts either. just looking for a jeep to drive around on some backroads and trails in the UP of mich. Thanks for the heads up!!!

Back