Is it safe to drive with High crankcase pressure

Heres my question. I have had various oil leaks starting with the valve cover down to the oil pan. I put a nice new aluminum valve cover and gasket and a new rubber oil pan gasket. It seems the oil pan gasket is leaking after a coupla days. I suspect high crank case pressure is blowing them out. If I do have a high pressure issue I realize an engine rebuild is inevedable. Now to the question what are other signs of high crank case pressure and Is this engine safe to run on long trips 5-8 hour drives provided I keep an eye on the oil level? thanx for your input 8)

What model and year jeep do you have?

I would be most concerned about blowing the rear main seal, but if the pressure already has somewhere to go then you should be okay by keeping an eye on the oil level.

Can you install a breather in the top of the valve cover to releive the pressure, or repair the PCV/CCV to properly vent the pressure?

I have a 86 cj 7 258 i6. I do have a good vent on top. That makes me question if it is a crank case pressure issue. Far as I know it isnt leaking at the rear. Any other thoughts? Oh and thanx for the quik reply.

oil in your air filter could be caused by impropper ccv...too much oil could cause increased crank case pressure...i don't know cj's all that well though.

hmmm. I rearranged some vaccume lines and that elliminated the oil in air filter prob. also I replaced the cv and the valve cover vent its the oilpan seal that keeps blowing. Not sure if too much crank case pressure will cause that or not. Let me know your thoughts.

When I first got my RV it was blowing oil like crazy.

It was so bad that it broke the intake manifold gasket. I took the top half of the engine apart and found that one of the last services performed on the engine neglected to get the proper gasket set. A pollution control valve was sealed shut and cut off.

There was a lump of coal in the top of that engine that was about to turn into a diamond. I am so glad that I found it when I did.

I don't think that this story helps much, but it did explain the high pressure in that situation!

What does your oil pressure gauge say? It's hard to believe that the oil pressure would blow the pan gasket when all it would have to do to vent is blow the dipstick out a little.
Pull your dipstick out a little to relieve the pressure next time you drive it. If you still have the problem with the pan gasket then you may just have a bad gasket.

What does your oil pressure gauge say? It's hard to believe that the oil pressure would blow the pan gasket when all it would have to do to vent is blow the dipstick out a little.
Pull your dipstick out a little to relieve the pressure next time you drive it. If you still have the problem with the pan gasket then you may just have a bad gasket.

Kinda what I was thinking. Or perhaps the oil pan is bent a tad toward the rear and won't bolt up snug. I've seen that happen when someone tries to get the pan down low enough to slip in a seal or inspect the bearings or whatever, and they pull down too hard on the rear of the pan and bend it over the crossmember or something.

thanks for the input gentle men & lady . Im starting to feel better already. or at least less confused about the sitiation.again thanx

Last edited:
Back