CB Antenna Install

jfrabat

OK, guys, my (most likely) last mod of this year (the wife is restricting the budget BIG TIME, as there is a child on the way! Guess I'll have a new money pit.... Eh hmmm... Hobby for the next couple of years!) is to install the CB antenna I already bought.

I got a great deal on a Firestick Firefly antenna, so although I do not yet have a CB Radio, I went for the antena. For those not familiar with the model, the Firefly is the lightweight (40% than the regular Firestick II) version of the Firestick antenas, and this one is 4' tall with adjusteable tip and uses a 3/8"-24 thread. I also got a Tera-Flex rear stoplight antenna mount because there was a good deal for it.

Now, my question is, is there a way to install the antenna in such a way that it can be easily and quickly removed and reinstalled for this antenna? The reasons I ask is (1) the Jeep BARELY gets in the garage as it is, and the antenna would NEVER clear the garage door, and (2) I think it is better to protect from theft if I dont go around with the antena installed.

Felipe

Don't sweat it not clearing. Just drive in and then bend the antenna under the door. As far as getting stolen, it's practically unheard of.

OK, if that is the case, what do I need to install the antenna to the mount? The mount does not have any threads to screw the antenna into it (actually, the whole is wider than the antenna threads)...

the ant. should have a mounting lug (a pc. that has 2 nuts and washers) one side will accept the ant. and the other will accept the coax.... the two nuts hold it to the mount... dont know if im describing it well but you should get the idea...

I've seen a quick disconnect for the antenna. It literally just moves down and then turns and pulls off.

I've thought about it for my YJ, but it is parked on the street and has been for years without anyone ripping it off as of yet...

OK, if that is the case, what do I need to install the antenna to the mount? The mount does not have any threads to screw the antenna into it (actually, the whole is wider than the antenna threads)...

To install the antenna on the flat surface with a drilled hole, you'll need what's called a CB antenna stud. The top of the stud accepts the 3/8 x 24 antenna and the bottom accepts the coax cable. The stud screws apart in the middle and is tapered so that you can screw it back together with the the flat horizontal mount in the middle - now you've got something to screw your antenna into!

For the garage situation, I'd recommend using a quick disconnect. There are a number of different models available and they all work the same. They use the same standard 3/8 x 24 thread that nearly all CB studs and antennas use. The disconnect screws in to the antenna stud and the antenna screws into the disconnect. The disconnects come apart (usually by pushing down on the disconnect and giving it a quarter turn) so that you can easily take the antenna off without tools. Putting it back on is just as fast and easy. This should hopefully help solve your garage issues!

If you mount it on the rear bumper it should be just as high as your roof.So it will clear your garage door.I know my High lift is 48" and mounted on the rear bumper and is a little lower than my roof.

If you mount it on the rear bumper it should be just as high as your roof.So it will clear your garage door.I know my High lift is 48" and mounted on the rear bumper and is a little lower than my roof.

Just to clarify, I mounted mine in a rear-light mounting bracket. And the reasons I did not go the bumper route are that (a) I did not yet have my bumper when I did it, and (2), that having the antenna higher is more efficient (better range) than having it sit low...

Attachments

• IMG_1167_wrangler_cb_antenna.JPG
    IMG_1167_wrangler_cb_antenna.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 4,170

I did mine on the rear bump stop, if i can find out how to post pics ill show ya !!

At the bottom of the screen there are two buttons - "post quick reply" and "Go Advanced (upload photos). Just chose the second one, then scroll down to the bottom of that page, and hit the "upload pictures" button.

Thanks , so apparently im blind, didnt see that, heres the best pic i got, the stopper is easy to drill through, i first marked a spot, drilled a hole for the wire to come through right in the back of the stop under to top of it and screwed it all in...

Attachments

• MY BABY 008.jpg
    MY BABY 008.jpg
    481.2 KB · Views: 3,146
That's an interesting idea... The only thing I like more about the stoplight mount is that you can use the same hole as the stoplight wires use. But this idea is very appealing (I would probably go this route if I had not already used the one I did). Here's a shot of my mount (with the quick detach off, as I ussually do not run with the antenna on to protect it)

AntennaMount.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Here's where i mounted my antenna's.

Attachments

• Picture 048.jpg
    Picture 048.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 11,427
:deadhorse:you had mentioned that you didn`t have a radio yet- just a thought on that. I repair,modify,install cb`s. Cobra`s are still a terrific value and with the right mods they get out just as good as 10-meter designed radios at a significantly lower price. Good luck.

Modifying (as in hacking) a CB radio is illigal here; How, I do plan to install a linear amplifier (RM from Italy make some nice ones) to boost my range once I get down to Panama, as well as installing a 2m radio (the antenna would go on the other side) in order to be able to make telephone calls from the Jeep in case of emergency (I'll need to get my HAM license there, but it is simple enough), but if you get caught here with a modified radio it can get VERY expensive! So be careful with that!

jfrabat, thanks for the reply; I was just making a suggestion as to what radio was a good value in todays market. Modifiying a radio is soley up to the owner; all risk factors should be disclosed. Radio is a highly individualized thing, just like what you choose to drive. Keep it coming, a good topic is like a good cigar!:deadhorse:

Back