Windshield Frame Bolts

88YJ6

So I have some new mirrors and mounts that go on the windshield frame, but am having a little trouble getting the bolts to come out. I have tried penetrating oil and a impact driver any ideas?

Heat is about the only way. Unfortunately you may burn your paint. Get it hot let it cool a little, back it out. You could try holding a soldering iron to it for a while, but I doubt whether it will be hot enough.

Oh great! this is another thing on my list to swap, it just keeps getting better and better. Everything I touch on either my 89 or 91 is rusted to hell or seized beyond recovery. All this work should pay off with a little hill climbing!

Nope theres no bolts on the other side, theres a plate that the bolts go into. And it sucks trying to get them back into it if it drops into the window channel and you can't find it, haha.

LR

Sorry I meant a nut on the back side of the bolt behind the speaker.

But really heat is the only way...well that sucks!

i just did my daughters . we used a angle grinder and took off the bolt heads. drilled a small hole in the stud and easy out the rest. the grinding provides the heat and if your carefull no paint blisters. it actually worked well as we got them all but one that had to be retapped.

Back