Audio Wiring

88YJ6

Has anyone wired some rear speakers without putting an amp in?
I want some rear speakers and was planning on building some custom boxes to sit under my roll bar in my 88 YJ but was curious if there was pre existing wiring or wether I should pony up and buy an amp to run everything.

I have some of the cheap ebay plastic boxes that fit between the roll bar and the wheel wells. I like them.

As for wiring I don't think there is any stock wires to Pony Up to for rear speakers. I may be wrong since when I got my YJ it had already been hacked up by the last owner. I have a 95 and just re-wired everything that runs from the head unit. I heat shrinked every connection EVERY!! CONNECTION!!
And built my own box for my speakers. Store bought stuff just didn't meet my needs. I think you will find when you build and wire it yourself you will have a better and longer lasting sound system.

My 2 cents

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14031_52_07.htm

I put these in the back to get the speakers out of the way and ran the wires myself from the back of the headunit. Sounds good and added cup holders. Don't add an amp unless you get a system with subwoofers and all it's just another thing you will worry about with the top of and cloudy skies.

That quadratec listing is what I have. You might be able to find them cheaper on ebay. Just look for jeep speaker boxes, or something similar.

OK, a couple of things... I am work in the Audio Products divition for Sony Latin America, so I guess this I do know a bit about.

If you plan to run only 4 speakers, I would not suggest an amp. If you plan to ad a Subwwofer, then get an amp, but only for the SW unit. In my case, I made a mount for my amp so that I can take it out from under the driver seat when I go wheeling by taking out only one screw (plus removing the 5 wires for power and signal, and removing the fuse so that I dont short everything out with a live wire wiggling under the seat!).

In my case (94 YJ), I used the sound wedges from Quadratec for the rear speakers, and relocated the front ones with Mod Pods. As for the wire, I just rewired everything, as the wire that the previous owner had used for the sound bar (which I eliminated) was pretty bad. I, like Happy024, used thermal shrink tubings on ALL connections (I used the waterproof ones just in case) and soldered all splices before doing that.

DSC02247-2.jpg

DSC02250-2.jpg

DSC02251-2.jpg

DSC02252-2.jpg

I would recommend getting some good wire (as many strands as you can get, and as thick an insulation you can get for 16 AWG) for the speakers to reduce interference. If you want really good audio quality, you will need to stuff the sound boxes with the fabric they bring (they just do not bring NEARLY enough to make any effect; get about 5 times as much as they bring, and stuff it before installing the speakers. Now, one comment on this: this is for sound QUALITY, not power. But given all the noises ussually present in a Jeep, you will most likely not be able to hear the difference, so keep that in mind. In my case, I had the stuff laying around, so I used it, but I dont consider it a priority for a Jeep.

DO make sure the boxes are installed nice and tight. Otherwise you will have vibrations, and that will sound pretty bad. ANyway, if you need any help on this, let me know and I will be happy to help you...

Felipe

Jfrabat... You don't have any sort of cover over that subwoofer? Seems like it could get damaged against the tailgate. My box fits between the rear seat and the tailgate and fires down, to protect them from sight and the elements. If i have ro replace the front's again i'll get some of those pod things(don't wanna have to lower the windshield and lift the dash again) and stick a set of 6.5's up there for better sound.

Hey Red, It looks like in the pictures that he does have the sub away from the tailgate, he just turned the box over to show the sub in the 2nd photo..

The fronts, unless you have tiny hands, you have to lower the windshield down to the hood so you can tilt the dash up for some room. Really not as hard as it sounds(assuming you have the correct torx bits:roll:) but it's a pain in the butt.

Jfrabat... You don't have any sort of cover over that subwoofer? Seems like it could get damaged against the tailgate. My box fits between the rear seat and the tailgate and fires down, to protect them from sight and the elements.

The sub actually points forward, not back... I just turn it around for the one picture to take the picture. If I turn it toward the back, it will still fit, but the duct (port) would be too close to the tailgate, lowering the power and quality of bass sound (it needs to be at least as far away from any object as twice its diameter), so I have it pointing forward under the rear seat.

So if I open the rear gate, all you see is a big box, but no SW. By the way, I typically run with the hard top on; I only take it off when the weather is nice.

If i have ro replace the front's again i'll get some of those pod things(don't wanna have to lower the windshield and lift the dash again) and stick a set of 6.5's up there for better sound.

There were 3 reasons why I used the mod pods; one is that replacing the old speakers is a PITA! Another is that the speaker size Jeeps use is really not that great for sound quality. The third is that the stock locations can only be heard by the passanger on that side, neglecting the stereo effect.

Felipe

Back