Any thoughts on this Tuff Design bumper?

Redsoxski

Came across this company that seems to offer a good value bumper package. I never heard of the company and didn't come up with anything on this forum when I did a search. I was wondering what you all thought about it or if you had any experience with it. Thanks...

Page Title

Attachments

• altered_back_1_copy-696x651.jpg
    altered_back_1_copy-696x651.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 225
  • altered_backright_2-693x526.jpg
    altered_backright_2-693x526.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 2,091
  • back_open-690x478.jpg
    back_open-690x478.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 2,893
  • Back_side_TC-600x398-685x457.jpg
    Back_side_TC-600x398-685x457.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,200
  • carrior_closeup_2-691x624.jpg
    carrior_closeup_2-691x624.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 213
Last edited by a moderator:

Nice looking bumper but I will bet you a silver dollar they're made in China.

Not sure I have a silver dollar to bet but when I talked to them on the phone they said they were in Wisconsin. There seems to be a slew of "off-brand" bumper manufacturers on ebay and most seem to have a good rep and a good product. I can't see spending a lot more $$ for a name brand so I'll probably go with one of the "off-brands", either Tuff-Designs or Dirtworx. Has anybody had any bad experiences with these or have any other reasons to stay with a name brand?

That bumper is a little too "square" for my taste...

I would recommend that you check the following before purchasing:
1. Thickness of the material they are using
2. Make sure that the D-Ring tabs are welded both front and back
3. How the bumper is mounted (I have personally seen bumpers pulled off rigs when towed out of tough spots)

Also, for tire carriers, the main concearn for me would be the tire carrier itself; a lot of the cheaper bumpers have issues either with the pivot or the lock mechanism, and these can result not only in rusting or the parts coming loose, but an anoying rattle when you drive.

Felipe

From some one who has built there own bumpers and other jeep parts they look decent to me. Standard 1x5x.250 seamed box tubing closed off with 1 inch strapping material. The questions are the D ring posts, are they through the tubing and welded from the back?

Personally I would buy it, they are most likely making them in there garage or a small shop.
Because for 168$ you could buy 12 foot of 5x1 tubing,12 foot of 1x.250 strapping material, 24 inches of 2x1 4340 high strength steel bar stock (for d ring posts cut to 3.0 long) and 24 foot of 3x4x.250 angle stock. enough to make 4, 56 inch long bumpers for the front or the back of the jeep. And there adding a 1x1 tubing to protect the lower back of the rear quarter panel, and the cost of building a tire carrier swing arm on top of that? And there selling them for 395$ ?!?! One there not buying them from China...costs too much to ship a finished bumper to here.. look at Warn bumpers cost 800+.

This is the same way the boys at Position spyder started out.
I would go for the unpainted model and hercaline the bad boy...one chip in the powder coating and it will rust...and in Colorado?

I am currently in the middle of he most difficult internet transaction I have ever had. After spotty customer service responses I reluctanly ordered. I placed my ordered 7 days ago and it still has not left their office. They have a great price and potentially a good value, but it seams you pay more over in customer service (lack there of)

I've got a buddy who bought the bumper, and he said the same thing about the customer service, really spotty and hard to get a hold of. The bumper had to be shipped twice, but it finally arrived. But he speaks highly of the bumper and is glad he made the purchase.

Looks nice..does seem they are making them in there garage or something.As long as it is made solid and sturdy it should be fine.Make sure you post pics and comments once you do get it.

From some one who has built there own bumpers and other jeep parts they look decent to me. Standard 1x5x.250 seamed box tubing closed off with 1 inch strapping material. The questions are the D ring posts, are they through the tubing and welded from the back?

Personally I would buy it, they are most likely making them in there garage or a small shop.
Because for 168$ you could buy 12 foot of 5x1 tubing,12 foot of 1x.250 strapping material, 24 inches of 2x1 4340 high strength steel bar stock (for d ring posts cut to 3.0 long) and 24 foot of 3x4x.250 angle stock. enough to make 4, 56 inch long bumpers for the front or the back of the jeep. And there adding a 1x1 tubing to protect the lower back of the rear quarter panel, and the cost of building a tire carrier swing arm on top of that? And there selling them for 395$ ?!?! One there not buying them from China...costs too much to ship a finished bumper to here.. look at Warn bumpers cost 800+.

This is the same way the boys at Position spyder started out.
I would go for the unpainted model and hercaline the bad boy...one chip in the powder coating and it will rust...and in Colorado?

Yeah, I built my own on a couple Jeeps past and intend to on my 3B. I usually use 2X4 tubing. These don't look bad to me either. :shades:

I installed one on my 95 YJ last night. It is one heavy piece of metal. Also installed the rack with it. I am not mechanically inclined in the least. It took about 5 hours to get on, install a couple of pieces remove same and reinstall correctly. I am very pleased with the workmanship and would recommend it to anyone. The only complaint I have is the directions are a little lacking (as I said I'm mechanically challenged) but it is very straight forward and if you know your way around a Jeep you shouldn't have any problems, looks great. Price was damn good for what you get. Preston, the guy I talked to and e-mailed was super helpful, I wish they built a front bumper for a YJ. I took some pictures but I'm also computer challenged or I would have posted them. Maybe I'll try if anyone wants to see them.

I installed one on my 95 YJ last night. It is one heavy piece of metal. Also installed the rack with it. I am not mechanically inclined in the least. It took about 5 hours to get on, install a couple of pieces remove same and reinstall correctly. I am very pleased with the workmanship and would recommend it to anyone. The only complaint I have is the directions are a little lacking (as I said I'm mechanically challenged) but it is very straight forward and if you know your way around a Jeep you shouldn't have any problems, looks great. Price was damn good for what you get. Preston, the guy I talked to and e-mailed was super helpful, I wish they built a front bumper for a YJ. I took some pictures but I'm also computer challenged or I would have posted them. Maybe I'll try if anyone wants to see them.

Please post some pics.When you are on the page to reply to this topic scroll down to additional options.there is a button for Upload Pictures.Click that and another window will open up.From there click browse.Most pictures goto your your picture folder click on that link and look for the pic.Then click upload.it will take a few minutes depending on your connection and computer.

XT Master I sure hope these work as I said I am not computer savy. The bumper is made in Wis. by a tube fabrication company. I went on their web site and they make all kinds of things to your specs. This bumper is heavy, heavy duty. I am now looking into lift, shocks, leaf springs etc. The list goes on and on and is never ending.

Attachments

• P8290132.JPG
    P8290132.JPG
    939.2 KB · Views: 181
  • P8290127.JPG
    P8290127.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 391
  • P8290129.JPG
    P8290129.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 221
  • P8290130.JPG
    P8290130.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 598
  • P8290131.JPG
    P8290131.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 219

Pics are perfect!

Three questions

1.Do you know what the weight limit is on the rack?

2.Is there a grease fitting on the hinge for the swing gate?

3.What is the largest tire you can fit on there?

don't know the weight limit but there is a grease fitting on the swing gate and I believe the largest tire is 35"

The Tire Carrier fits up to 37" tires with the frame tie in kit and the Trail Rack does carry a load capacity of 150 LBS.

The bumpers are made in our 60,000 square foot ISO 9000 certified production facility in Wisconsin and we are in the process of releasing our front bumper

If anyone has any questions or feedback about our products I am always available on my cell 707-812-3810 and we are very open to suggestions to improve our products.
Thank you

I like the bumper as long as you are going to use everything on them. If you are just going to put a bigger tire on it, then I would go with something else.

That rack is not designed or intended to carry heavy loads. I would only put chairs and recovery equipment (tree straps, tow straps ect...) I carry water and fuel in the carry slots behind the spare tire they fit great. I wish I coud find some empty storage cans that would fit back there so if I don't carry fuel I could put some extra tools or parts.

Back