Idle too high.

uncleair

New to me 2001 Wrangler with the straight six, idle according to tach is about 700RPM (not sure how reliable the onboard tach is). Off-road and downhill in low range gets exciting. New plugs did not help.

My wife takes it out alot to get her to hiking trails, I want it to be safe.

Your assistance would be appreciated.

Tom

I also have a 01, and the idle is around 700 RPM after the motor warms up.
Your 01 is controled by the computer and sensors, any lower in the RPM and you will not burn the the fuel completley in the combustion cylinder thus it will start to send small amounts of carbon through your exhaust to eventually choke your catalitic converter.

So the 700 RPM is normal. Then I guess the next question is: What's the best way to slow the Wrangler on off-road steep descents?

Thanks for your reply.

Tom

Welcome to the Z. For better control downhill in 4lo, consider installing lower gears in the axles, a great upgrade for offroad (especially when compensating for larger tires).

Welcome to the Z. For better control downhill in 4lo, consider installing lower gears in the axles, a great upgrade for offroad (especially when compensating for larger tires).
TC is right dropping her into four lo and putting her into 1st will help a lot on descents.
You have leftout a lot of information, out of your description, we know you have a 01 with the 4L. Can you tell us if you have a lift? Tire size? Automatic or manual transmission? Changing axle gearing might be premature if your not running a larger tire here.
Many who get into a jeep for the first time don't feel the braking is adequate comparing it to there town car and stuff.
Three pieces affect your braking in a modified jeep, tire size, brake pad selection, and upgrading your rotors. And of course their condition. You get your main stopping power from your front brakes 70-30 (?)(a little help from the peanut gallery...not sure the exact percentage that the proportioning valve is set at).
I was driving a Datsun 240 sports car when I bought my jeep, I took her back twice till i upgraded my whole braking system, and it still feels weak to me.

First off............Utah!!.....it was Bounty not TC!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (you must've been drinking that Utahian beer!!!:drunk: ). Bounty was absolutely correct. I've got an '03 4banger (4:11 gears and a 4:1 transfer case) that idles around 1K rpm. And let me tell ya', she will CRAWL!!!! Not sure what kinda gears you have or what the ratio is on your transfer case, but that's where you need to look for steep ascents/descents. You'll probably appreciate that idle speed once you get the gears set up!!

my $.02,
crawler mud

And the worst thing is I missed it twice...once on his post and second on the quote in my post...as to the Utah beer..I try to stay away from it as much as I can, its flavored water....thats why I am organizing a raid on Red's garage, he states its full of GOOD beer!

Thanks for all the replies. Your advise is much appreciated.

To fill in some of the blanks:

01 Wrangler with straight six and automatic 3 speed trans.

Work done last week by a savvy off-road shop.

New tires, increased the size of the tires to 270- 70-16

New brakes all around.

No lifts installed.

I will look into axle ratios.

Thanks again,

Tom

Back