Turns off while driving

BigJman

I was driving my jeep this afternoon and i had just driven it to the store 5 min. from my work. I just got on the road, going back to work, and was going into 2nd gear and the motor shut down like I had just turned the key off. I tried to restart and nothing happened. I tried starting it for 7-8 min then a loud backfire and it started fine. I think it might be an electrical problem. If anyone has had any problems with this please letr me know what to do. Oh yeah 1990 Jeep wrangler w/ 4.2 and manual trans.

check teh coil, I have had issues with the plug becoming loose. does the same exact thing. I just wiggle the plug and fires right back up.

Back fire might be from pumping teh gas while trying to start it.

Thanks. I Have checked my plugs and wires since that happened. And I haven't had any problems. I think I am going to upgrade the ignition system. Any Ideas about a good ignition system, any help would be much appreciated.

stock should be fine unless you want to reaslly start tuning the engine. but if your gonna leave it pretty much along, really no need to.

could be the electronic control module... mine acted up sporatically (sp?) and then gave it up altogether... got hot, shut down, cooled off (an hour or two) started up... i changed out all the parts (module, coil, wires, plugs) and havent had a problem since... just my $.02 - hope it helps...

Back