jeep 258 to ford 302 swap

jeepmastr1

i am considering replacing my 258 with a 302. advance adapters has engine mounts and headers. i have a T150 trans and dana 20 transfer. my jeep is a 79 cj7 with a 4 inch suspension lift and 33 inch rubber. advance informs me the v8 will bolt right onto the transmission without any adapters. my concerns are will i need any other modifications? will the driveshafts work as they are? i realize i will have to fabricate exhaust. both engines are carburatored. any info would be appreciated. thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

not to try to deter you from your quest, but i think most people swap small block chevy motors in; i don't see many ford swaps...[addsig]

nice name jeepmastr1 !!!! and the same with me, ive not heard of any ford engine switches, a lotta chevy ones tho.[addsig]

I also haven't seen any Ford swaps but a lot of Chevy swaps. I thought about it since I can also get my hands on a 302 HO from a late 60's mustang. I am all chevy when it comes to a V8 though, My Other Ride, so I don't know, hope it works for you and if it does let me know how hard it was to do. [addsig]

A ford swap shouldnt be any more difficult then my chevy swap, just be prepared for a big price tag, and a new set of axles if you've got a little to much lead in your foot.[addsig]

I suggest calling advance adapters and talking to them. When I was considering a conversion to a v8 I emailed them from way up here in Canada and they called me within 5 min. I talked to them for about 1 1/2 hr. they were a great help. As well I'd recommend getting the advance book that explains the whole process[addsig]

As mentioned above, chevy 350 are much more common. But if you already have the 302, well, your almost there. How much modification you'll need depends on how big your foot is! If your a "smart wheeler" and keep your foot "out of it" while wheeling you can probably get away with the stock running the gear. But once you start on that path of using the power from that little 302, look out! It'll be hard to Not use it. At that point, you'll need stronger axles, beefier drive lines, bigger brakes, bigger fuel tank, and heavy duty clutch. Not sure about the transmission, but the T/C can handle the power no problem.

Good luck, have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

I've been thinking about this as well, mostly due to the sheer amount of things in my jeep that are going to be needed to either upgraded or just plain replaced due to years of abuse.

I found this interesting knowledge base article that deals with engine swaps in older jeeps, particularly the small block chevy's and buick v8's

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/chevy_buick_swap.htm[addsig]

i have a 302 in mine and i love it

Attachments

• 2011-03-03_15-26-59_559.jpg
    2011-03-03_15-26-59_559.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,518
Re: 1048973

if it is truly a direct bolt up to your trans , possibly locating your motor mounts with the shafts hooked up will work. I put a mopar 360 in my 87 yj and used the stock 207 and stock shafts. just bolted it together and "mocked up" the mounts. no real huge costs involved at all IF your willing to do your homework and the labor ! have fun !

i say do it. there is a carb'd 302 for sale locally for 300 bucks that keeps calling my name

Re: 1048973

:redface:
if it is truly a direct bolt up to your trans , possibly locating your motor mounts with the shafts hooked up will work. I put a mopar 360 in my 87 yj and used the stock 207 and stock shafts. just bolted it together and "mocked up" the mounts. no real huge costs involved at all IF your willing to do your homework and the labor ! have fun !

ha on me ! just saw the thread date............:redface::D

Chevy swaps are common because Chevy engines are common, and cheaper to build. A small block Ford is a good swap however because 1) the distributor is in the front of the engine and 2) it's a little bit smaller physically than a small block Chevy.

Back