emissions test

soplopjs

I have a 1977 CJ-7 with the V8-304 engine and a 2 barrel holly carb. I took it to get inspected and it failed for lacking an air-injection system, thermostatic air-control and a fuel evaporative control. Has anyone else encountered any similar issues in their inspection and found any easy (cost-effective) ways to solve them? Any ideas on good ways to take care of these problems and pass the emissions test would be great. Thanks,

-jeff-[addsig]

What state are you in?

Also, Once the vehicle is 25 years old, it should be exempt from emmissions and safety standards... If

it's a 77 that should be any day now. Check your states laws on "antique", "vintage", or something

similar. Try google.com "<your state here> emissions exempt" something should come up.

Hope this helps.

Cooper.[addsig]

I would try another place. Sometimes one place can be total pain and other places will let you get away with having to put your feet down as brakes...
image-missing.png
But seriously, I would go somewhere else as there are exemption rules that should be taking place anytime soon, but some states are different than others... Good luck as emission standards are only going to get harder...[addsig]

thanks for the replies! I'm in North Carolina, I called the DMV already and they confirmed (unfortunately) what the inspection station said. I also called another shop, thet one I normally use for major work and they said that it will have to pass emissions testing too. I think if I just put in the 3 updates I mentioned that It'll pass the test, everything else checks out OK, but I'm not sure the best method for doing this. Any other ideas would be great...[addsig]

Okay, had some time on my hands. Here's what I came up with. Check this link:

http://www.dmv.dot.state.nc.us/enforcement/emissionsinspections/pdf/CR435NCDOTEnforcement.pdf

If you're on a modem, it may take a while to get, but it's worth it. Basically, here is what it says:

page 63) Effective Jan 1, 2004 (yes, 4) your 77 jeep will *not* be subject to emissions testing.

So how do you get a waiver till then?

page 96) 1.) You passed the safety inspection.

2.) You fail the emissions inspection.

3.) All emissions equipment installed at time of manufacture is still present.

Note: I read this as you shouldn't have to add new stuff if the jeep didn't come with it.

4.) You spend a minimum of $75 on directly related repairs (show itemized receipts with

part names; part numbers alone are not enough).

5.) Vehicles prior to 1981 (yours) can have the repairs done by anybody (yourself). Newer

must go to a garage <suck>.

6.) Repairs must be completed within 45 days of initial inspection.

7.) Vehicle fails emissions again after repairs are done.

8.) If certain parts are no longer commercially available, the DMV enforcement inspector will

verify that fact and you won't have to scrounge around junkyards.

As for how to actually repair the vehicle, I haven't worked on CJs so I'll leave that up to the experts. At least

now you know the minimum you need to do. $75 in parts and fail it again.

Cooper.[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>I have a 1977 CJ-7 with the V8-304 engine and a 2 barrel holly carb. I took it to get inspected and it failed for lacking an air-injection system, thermostatic air-control and a fuel evaporative control. Has anyone else encountered any similar issues in their inspection and found any easy (cost-effective) ways to solve them? Any ideas on good ways to take care of these problems and pass the emissions test would be great. Thanks,

-jeff-</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree to trying another place. My '80 CJ-7 has a 304 and I have passed the emission tests in the past. Mine has a Edelbrock Performer EGR manifold, Edelbrock Performer Emission carb., in-frame headers and dual cats/flowmasters. It has a mild cam...not that anyone would notice! The sniffer test is no problem if your properly tuned, have fresh gas and fluids. The visual is the problem. It seems stupid that you can "blow clean" but still fail. But that's the way it is! I'm in NC too. I see many Jeeps with cats stuck on old sidepipes with shiny inspection stickers. Do you have your stock air cleaner? Get one. I put my stock cleaner on, hook up the thermo-air control and even the cold air tube to the grill. Get your vacuem lines out and run them around the engine compartment. Check the service manual for routing. It may not all function, but it can look like it does! Get rid of any "performance stickers" or anything that screams "modified"! Subtleness is key. Good luck![addsig]

jcooper thanks for the tip and all the rest of you. I'm going to add the thermostatic air control and air pump, both of which I can do for around 75 bones and then get my one year waiver to freedom. Adding these may even make it pass the test anyway so we'll see. Thanks again!

-jeff-[addsig]

Back