2004 guts into an '89 Wrangler ???'s

60 Biscayne

Hi Folks,
I'm a newbee to the Jeepz forum so please bear with me. I'm an old Chevy buck and a gent over at Chevytalk.com (where I hang out) told me that this is the place for me.
Here's the deal: I have a neat 89 Wrangler with a 4.2 which I changed over to a Holley carb. It's a 5 speed and I have a 4" lift kit in it & I have 33" Thornbirds on it.
Problem is it's pretty dead and I have a relatively new 4.0 with an automatic etc..
Do I have to change the fuel tank to a later model so the pump is in the tank if yes - is there another or a better / cheaper way?
What else won't work out?
I have the harness and computer from this late model Wrangler.
Any body that knows anything I'll run into and can help would be greatly appreciated. Maybe there's an article or something of somebody doing this type of upgrade etc............
Thanks and Merry Christmas,
Jim

I'm not the man to help with the technical part, but I will roll out the welcome wagon.

Welcome to Jeepz

Thanks Terry - it's always nice to make a new buddy!
I closed the deal & purchased this 2004 engine trans & tcase along with the harness & computer + the drive shafts & more.
I spoke with a mechanic buddy of mine & it looks like I'll have to come up with a cooler in front of the radiator for the trans lines & maybe somebody makes a high pressure external electric fuel pump or else I'll have to find a new gas tank etc............
Hopefully I'll get some leads on my needs!
Over at Chevytalk (we) they break their back to Help out a fellow CTer - Hope the same is true over here!
Jim (60 Biscayne)

depends on your creativity.

I think you have a plastic tank..
You could make your own return line and use some type of sealed bulkhead fitting to get it to stay, little RTV to seal it and should be good.
Metal tank, just drill a hole, and weld a bung on there.
Of course this is with a in-line pump, but it is the return line thats going to be a biotch

or

swap in a tank from a 92-95 YJ, should have provision you need.

Those drive shafts are probably not needed,different joints at the axles, plus there are usually discrepencies between years for D/S length, would be easier to mod your exhisting one's and sell those for a little extra $$.

as for your auto trans, most after market radiators will have the transmission cooler lines there, if it is an auto, you use them, for a stick, plug them. probably cheaper and easier than fabbing up some type of cooler mount.

If you are going through all this trouble, why not a V8?

Catfish - You are my new main man (at least for today anyway). Thanks for the info, it gives me something to checkout anyway.
I still have to figure out how to send a PM so bear with me........OK
Jim

looks like you figured out the pm stuffs.
sent reply back to ya

catfish

Back