Time To Lift

mercab18

I know I've been doing all types of threads these days, but I'm a new Jeep owner and I want this thing to look good asap. For my 21st birthday, the parents are going to end up giving me some cash for a lift, but I honestly have no idea how much to lift it, what kind of lift to get, etc.

I have a set of 31x10.5xR15 mud terrain tires for the summer (even though I normally drive on the road) that look great. They look a bit weird considering they barely fit with my stock lift, but they still look better than the stock things.

I'm looking to spend maybe $1000 max on this thing, but if I needed a little more to get something a lot better, that'd be fine. I mostly drive on the road, but I do some off-roading (nothing too crazy).

Thanks for everyone's help, I really appreciate it.

Are you looking to spend $1000 max on your truck, or $1000 on your lift? I'm in the same boat as you. I've got a new-ish Jeep that came with 31s, and am in the process of getting it right. If you are looking to invest in your jeep, don't forget all the little things, like tow hooks, straps, etc.

I think I'll stay small with mine, probably ending up with a one inch body lift, and a 2 inch coil spacer.

Rubicon Express makes a good product, Not too sure about the tj's but i picked up a 4'' kit for under 1000 bucks for my YJ, no troubles or complaints yet!!

I've actually put a lot into my Jeep already (like the tow hooks, straps, soft top, sound system, etc). This lift is just the next thing, so I figured $1000 was a pretty good amount for me to get a quality lift.

What's the difference between body lifts and coil spacers?

Does road performance suffer after getting it lifted? Highway?

Do I install it myself? If so, how long should it take me?

Is there a certain type/brand of lift that I should stay away from or really be interested in?

Body lifts are pretty easy to do, and you can safely go between 1" and 2", topping out around 3. A body lift won't give you and more ground clearance, since the frame is still at the same height, but it will help you fit thouse 31s better, since there will be more room in the wheel wheels. Since they don't change the suspension, they normally don't have a affect on ride quality. Here's a pretty dated writeup I did http://www.jeepz.com/forum/suspension/16939-body-lift.html

As to coil spacers, I'll let someone else chime in, but they actually jack your ride up in the air some.

Body lifts are pretty easy to do, and you can safely go between 1" and 2", topping out around 3. A body lift won't give you and more ground clearance, since the frame is still at the same height, but it will help you fit thouse 31s better, since there will be more room in the wheel wheels. Since they don't change the suspension, they normally don't have a affect on ride quality. Here's a pretty dated writeup I did http://www.jeepz.com/forum/suspension/16939-body-lift.html

As to coil spacers, I'll let someone else chime in, but they actually jack your ride up in the air some.

I would not go over 1" lift for a body lift, but that is just me... The more space between the frame and the body, the more load is put on the bolts. Some people run as much as 3" on BL, but I personally would not use more than 1".

They coil spacers will give your Jeep lift by lowering the the stock springs, so the Jeep will maintain its stock ride characteristics (the stock springs are still used), while giving you extra space for larger tires. I think this is a good option if you only want to run 31's... They will be cheaper than a lift kit, and the ride quality will be kept the same as stock. Maybe a 2" coil spacer or some combo of 1" coil spacers and 1" lift will work nicely for your needs.

Most of the time, with a 2.5" lift you will not need a SYE or TC drop kit, so try to keep the lift at a max of 2.5" if you want to stay within the $1k budget... I am not sure if you need a dropped pitman arm for 2.5" of lift (I think you will not, but can anyone confirm?).

Rubicon Express makes a good product, Not too sure about the tj's but i picked up a 4'' kit for under 1000 bucks for my YJ, no troubles or complaints yet!!

Ditto on that! I have a 4" lift for my YJ, and I really like it. But for 31's, you will not need more than 2.5" lifts (and keeping the lift low will allow you to maintain better articulation - ie. softer ride - along with a lower center of gravity and will keep the additional parts needed down).

On a TJ? I have 31s on mine and it's all stock. You must have some wide wheels if they don't fit the Jeep like it is. I certainly wouldn't go with anything more than the coil spacer lift if you just want to get it up off the tires a little bit. Spend the money elsewhere until you get ready to step up in tire size, especially on a Jeep that doesn't get out in the dirt much.

Coil spacers are a polyurethane bushing, that are installed between the top of the coil spring and the coil bucket. They range in thickness from .75 to 2.5.
They are you first level of lift.Some kits come with new shocks, which is recommended if you go for the 2.5 inch spacers.
With your jeep being new I would go this route, but add sway bar disconnects for your front sway bar also, then add in some recovery points (tow hooks). People are more than willing to help you out of a bad spot when you have easy, accessable tow points.

Coil spacers would be the easiest/cheapest way to go if all you want to run is 31's and do mild wheeling. As soon as I bought my 33" tires I knew I was going to have to wait a few months to afford the 4" lift I needed, but I threw a set of 2" coil spacers on there and it actually rode fine on the road (no rubbing) and I even did a little off-roading with minimal rubbing at full flex.

My spacers ran about $100 and I put them on myself in about 2 1/2 hours. I only had a floor jack, two jackstands and a basic Craftsman set of tools. I may have been able to do it faster, but I read the instructions several times and stared at the stock set up for a while before I started tearing it apart.

$1000 would be plenty to do the coil spring spacers. With the extra $$$ you could/should buy some new shocks. If you're still running the stockers they're way past due probably. When I bought the new Rancho 9000's it was close to $500 for those, but they are money extremely well spent.

i personally am a fan of rough country lift kits. they are fairly cheap and really reliable. i've had a couple jeeps and i currently own a dodge ram and i've used rough country for my lifts, i am very happy with their durability. I do know that they have a 1.5" coil spacer lift for like $200 if you want to keep running the 31s or they have a 4" lift that will clear 33s for $529. my buddy went with the 4" on his daily driver and he is very pleased with it.

Last edited:

The only thing I would caution you about is not to spend a bunch of money doing a small lift, and then deciding when you get more adventurous that you really want bigger tires and a bigger lift, and therefore have to start over, essentially after having wasted the money on the small lift. I'd go along with the guys who are suggesting the cheap coil spacers for now, until you decide what it is you want to do with your jeep.

I just spoke to my buddy who actually works for a Jeep body shop and he said he could get me a decent price on "remote reservoir coil overs"? He said it's 100x better than simply adding inches to my current suspension. I'm not really sure what this entails.... but he told me that I would not regret it.

I want to see what everyone else thinks before I do this. It's a huge price difference, going from $80-$120 (from what another user told me on this forum) to closer to $800-$900. What does everyone think?

A second topic that I wanted to bring up was the sway bar disconnects. I have seen these for a range of prices, but I'm not sure whether it is important to buy expensive ones or inexpensive ones. Are they good to have, or should I just not worry about them.

Thanks for everyone's help, I'm getting a ton of feedback and this is really going to help me make the best decision possible for my Jeep. For all of you who helped me, you're welcome to come for a ride sometime haha.

I just spoke to my buddy who actually works for a Jeep body shop and he said he could get me a decent price on "remote reservoir coil overs"? He said it's 100x better than simply adding inches to my current suspension. I'm not really sure what this entails.... but he told me that I would not regret it.

I want to see what everyone else thinks before I do this. It's a huge price difference, going from $80-$120 (from what another user told me on this forum) to closer to $800-$900. What does everyone think?

A second topic that I wanted to bring up was the sway bar disconnects. I have seen these for a range of prices, but I'm not sure whether it is important to buy expensive ones or inexpensive ones. Are they good to have, or should I just not worry about them.

Thanks for everyone's help, I'm getting a ton of feedback and this is really going to help me make the best decision possible for my Jeep. For all of you who helped me, you're welcome to come for a ride sometime haha.

the theory to lifting your jeep is to clear bigger tires. Each lift has its pros and cons.
The budget boost (coil spacers) lift your jeep by adding height to your coils, the trade off is that your factory suspension arms (the ones that hold your axles, upper and lower) change in angle, going from 5 or so degrees parallel to the ride surface to 20 degrees or so. this allows some of the kinetic energy from road bumps to be transfered to the frame before the springs, shocks and movements of the control arms take up the energy.
This lift doesn't require you to add longer brake lines,drive shaft, track bar, and drop pitman arm. Some on road drive quality and off-roading quality will be lost due to the steeper angle of the upper and lower control arms.
The maximum lift you can go is around 3.5 inches of lift before the angle are too much for the factory arms. At this much lift you could experience drive line vibrations due to the extreme angle of the rear drive line.

At 4 inches of lift a short arm lift is employed to correct the caster angles with the replacement control arms. A adjustable track bar is needed to move the axles back to center of the frame rails, longer brake lines and a drop pitman arm is needed to correct the idler arm from the steering box or you will get bump steer problems( where your jeep will not drive straight every bump will turn your jeep ever so slightly, due to the extreme angle of the idler arm angle/ flex). Also the cheaper kits employ a transfer case lower kit that allows you to lower the transfer case some to help correct the steep angle of your drive lines. (or) Some recommend that you buy a SYE (slip yoke eliminator) kit and buy a slip type of drive line. This adds a second yoke and u-joint to the drive line helping /preventing drive line wobbles from the extreme angle.

The last kit is called a long arm kit (4+ inches of lift) , in this kit you remove the factory lower and upper control arms and there mounting location on the jeeps frame rails and the kit moves them closer to center of the jeep. thus lowering the angle of the lower and upper control arms allowing less of the road bumps and off-road jarring to be transfered to the frame and tub but into the springs and shocks.

Most of the short arm and long arm kits come with sway bar disconnects. These allow you to disconnect the front sway bar (for off road purposes)thus freeing the amount of articulation of the front axle. (the reason here is to keep the tires on the ground by allowing the axle greater flexibility). When your driving on road the sway bar is attached to the front frame and axle near the spring perches making both springs work to dampen road vibrations.
This cheap change allows most stock and near stock jeeps greater flexibility off road, and is one of the first things most newer jeepers do. All of the better lift packages come with them.

Now some of the more extreme long arm kits come with coil overs, these shock/coil springs combination are centered around a rebuild-able shock tower with places on the outside for different spring rated coil springs. Coil overs are the race ready dampening systems made for off road buggies and competition rock crawlers. They built with adjustable spring rates and shock rates by buying different rated springs and internal valving option for the shock portion. You will need to add a external coil over tower to your frame and depending on the length of the coil overs you will have to cut out a large opening in the rear tire wells to fit them on the rear end of your jeep.

Still at this point with factory control arms the maximum height you can get from the coil overs is still 3-3.5 inches of lift before you will have to spend a lot more money i.e. brake line extensions, drop pitman arm and SYE kit and new rear drive line. Any more lift and you will have to buy adjustable control arms and track bar to correct the problems associated with lift your jeep any higher.

Hopefully this explains some. Since you stated that this jeep is your daily driver and don't plan on taking it off road on some difficult trails I would go with a budget boost with new shocks to clear those 31's with room to spare.
Buy sway bar disconnects for the amount of your lift your planning. Buy front and rear tow hooks because you will get stuck...not today but some day down the road your going to...trust me on this. then buy a good off road recovery strap, not a cheap one with metal hooks, but a pro-comp recovery strap or one like it, one of the most important things you will ever need off road. If any thing is left think about protecting the little things like your rear tail lights with metal baskets, nerf rails for the sides of your jeep.

Wow, that's a fantastic reply. You've convinced me into buying these coil spacers. Couple more questions:

1. Is there a certain type/brand of coil spacer that I should stay away from or make sure to get?

2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I will need the following:
-coil spacers (I'm thinking 2.5" is the right height)
-new shocks (any suggestions about those?)
-sway bars (suggestions about those too?)
-front/rear tow hooks
-anything else?

I know I've said this many times, but I appreciate all who have responded. I'm glad to be part of the Jeep community.

Wow, that's a fantastic reply. You've convinced me into buying these coil spacers. Couple more questions:

1. Is there a certain type/brand of coil spacer that I should stay away from or make sure to get?

2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I will need the following:
-coil spacers (I'm thinking 2.5" is the right height)
-new shocks (any suggestions about those?)
-sway bars (suggestions about those too?)
-front/rear tow hooks
-anything else?

I know I've said this many times, but I appreciate all who have responded. I'm glad to be part of the Jeep community.

As for spacers there all about the same just different colors of polyurethane.
As for shocks you don't need expensive off roading shocks like a multi-stage bilsteins, just talk to your local off road shop and see what they recommend you will need a off-road type since your lifting your jeep but sure to tell them that this will see more on-road than off. Personally I run Bilsteins5150's because I like the ride of them and the multi-staging, but at 115+$ per shock...
Sway bar disconnects? hard to say who makes the best, I know and trust Tera-Flex brand since I used them for most of my big purchase items.
Tow hooks ...once again ask your local off road shop on what he has available and what brands he trusts.
anything else, tow strap, tow strap tow-strap, I cant stress that enough, just like the boyscouts...come prepared! trust no one else to have one,
If you have any money left look into getting a drop in K&N filter.

For some examples, I'm looking at these two Rubicon Express coil lifts

Expensive mono tube shocks
Rubicon Express 2" Budget Boost with Mono Tube Shocks for 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

Cheaper twin tube shocks
Rubicon Express 2" Budget Boost with Twin Tube Shocks for 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

I've heard good things about the mono tube shocks, and I'm leaning towards them, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

ok i'm looking at the shocks now, and i've seen three types: mono tube shocks, twin tube shocks, and remote reservoir shocks. any advice on which to buy? i know remote reservoir shocks are the best, but i'm not sure what the price difference is between them and mono tube shocks.

mercab18 - what did you end up doing?

I ended up getting the Rubicon Express 2 inch with twin tube shocks. I talked to alot of people, and it appears that mono tube shocks are more for offroad applications, and twin tube are for normal driving / occasional offroad.

Here's my install - http://www.jeepz.com/forum/suspensi...alling-rubicon-express-2-coil-spacer-kit.html

I'd second the suggestion of installing sway bar disconnects at the same time you install your lift - since you've gotten everything apart anyway.

Back