Old guy needs some help.

eaw46

Hi guys a new member here and I am looking for some advice. I apologize in advance for the long thread but it is necessary so you know where I am coming from. I am an old guy with a fair amount of experience in off road. I have owned lots of old CJs and right now have a 96 H1 and a 62 Mog 404 and a 71 Jeepster commando S/C and play a fair bit. I have no knowledge of the YJ or TJ however and need to buy one as I am looking for a Jeep to tow behind a Motor home. I need one of the newer ones as my wife will be driving it as well as me. It has to have A/T/C and auto as she will not drive one without. I need it to be towable 4 wheels down and I am hoping it will be fairly capable as I wish to enjoy it too. So can I pick the brain power here and get some advice as to what to get? I really do not wish to spend a whole bunch as i already have a enough tied up in 4X4s and this will only be used when we are on the road. .Thanks Eddy

Sounds like a YJ with a 4.0 and automatic would be perfect. I'm picturing gold Sahara version for some reason.

HI I am not in the Know about YJ or TJ. What are the advantages disadvantages of the models? I have seen some used TJs for about $10K and I like the look of the TJ rather than the YJ. Is the YJ better or the TJ?? Eddy

... Is the YJ better or the TJ?? Eddy

You can start a Jeep war with that question. :lol: Since your wife will be driving it I would suggest a TJ. You'll be able to find a used TJ in better shape than a YJ but for only a few dollars more. The TJ has a newer "car like" interior, smoother ride and in stock form is more than capable as a tow behind and off road toy. The YJ would be fine too but it is a little rougher in ride and in interior appearance. Some people prefer this but again, since it's for your wife... And with a YJ, you'll probably end up spending more on maintenance and general upkeep.

Good luck with your search and welcome to Jeepz.

I'd suggest a girly little creampuff like I drive every day. 99 TJ, automatic with air conditioning. With the limited slip rear it's capable enough for a relatively stock vehicle, and it's comfortable(for a Jeep).

The YJ was produced from 1987 through 1995. ABS was an option on the early YJ's, and, I believe, standard on the '94 and '95 models. All YJ's have a leaf-spring suspension, and fashionable square headlights ;-) When compared to the TJ, the YJ has a rougher ride and less asthetic "charm" on the interior. Expect to get anywhere from 10-13 miles/gallon of fuel.

The TJ was produced starting in 1997. Features like ABS, airbags, and coil springs are standard. The TJ's even have the classic round headlight design. Increased federal safety regulations likely spurred some changes in the TJ design, such as more plastic interior trim and a more angled windshield. A TJ does have more of a car-like appearance and comfort on it's interior, which your wife may enjoy. You may find that you're getting in the neighborhood of 14-16 miles/gallon.

Naturally, a TJ will be more costly than a YJ to purchase. If, down the road, you decide to modify a TJ, you'll likely be spending a few dollars more than if you were to modify a YJ.

Since your wife will be driving it I would suggest a TJ. You'll be able to find a used TJ in better shape than a YJ but for only a few dollars more. The TJ has a newer "car like" interior, smoother ride and in stock form is more than capable as a tow behind and off road toy. The YJ would be fine too but it is a little rougher in ride and in interior appearance. Some people prefer this but again, since it's for your wife...

I agree with this...

And with a YJ, you'll probably end up spending more on maintenance and general upkeep.

But this will depend on the condition of the vehicles. All things equal, maintenance should be the same for both.

The YJ was produced from 1987 through 1995. ABS was an option on the early YJ's, and, I believe, standard on the '94 and '95 models. All YJ's have a leaf-spring suspension, and fashionable square headlights ;-) When compared to the TJ, the YJ has a rougher ride and less asthetic "charm" on the interior. Expect to get anywhere from 10-13 miles/gallon of fuel.

My '94 has no ABS... So I guess it was later on. I do know it was an available option, but dont know when they were standard. Defenetly not '94, though. By the way, I get 15 mpg on my 2.5L. I know you can get all the way up to 20 mpg if you drive lightly and you engine is in good shape (and your gearing is right for the tires you are rolling; I am rolling 31's on 4.10, which is a bit of a streatch, but not too bad.).

The TJ was produced starting in 1997. Features like ABS, airbags, and coil springs are standard. The TJ's even have the classic round headlight design. Increased federal safety regulations likely spurred some changes in the TJ design, such as more plastic interior trim and a more angled windshield. A TJ does have more of a car-like appearance and comfort on it's interior, which your wife may enjoy. You may find that you're getting in the neighborhood of 14-16 miles/gallon.

Coil suspension will make it a bit smoother (more car like) instead of the leaf spring, which is harder (more pick-up like). I would go for the TJ if it is for the wife...

Just make sure (whichever model you decide to get) that there is no rust, and no abuse. Be careful if you are looking into a Rubicon edition, as these tend to be abused more frequently offroad than a S or SE model. Just look for signs of rock hits and rocks, and try to stay away from that...

Felipe

OK it looks like a used TJ it will be I will start searching is there any special items or options that are recommended or anything other than the ordinary to watch for? Eddy

Just get a Rubicon. They can be had for not a bad price and it doesn't sound like you could want anymore than what it has to offer.

Just get a Rubicon. They can be had for not a bad price and it doesn't sound like you could want anymore than what it has to offer.

The only bad point about Rubicons is that because they are more capable offroad, they tend to be wheeled (and abused) more than the other versions...

The only bad point about Rubicons is that because they are more capable offroad, they tend to be wheeled (and abused) more than the other versions...

That's true if you find one that's been modded. But I've seen plenty that have never touched the dirt.

So from all the advice I have noted it looks like a used Rubicon that has not been too abused. I would like to find one for about $10 to $12K what do you think I can find? Is there any Jeep sites that have some for sale or just E-Bay the Auto trader the net? Thanks Eddy

Back