The unicorn got a nose job

currupt4130

VT Hokie
Most people here have seen pics of my rig, either right side up or playing dead.. Well I got tired of always making first contact with something by way of my stinger, so I re-worked the front end some. I got rid of the huge front stinger, shortened it, and stood it up some more. Not as effective at preventing an endo, but much better on my approach angle.

I also did a shackle reversal because I was constantly breaking springs. Got some Old Man Emu 1.5" springs for 80 bucks a piece brand new, and picked up some steel.

Also got my CB working again thanks to my buddy.

Before:
IMG_0568-1.jpg

IMG_0569-1.jpg

After:
dsc00354-1.jpg

dsc00356-1.jpg

dsc00361-1.jpg

dsc00358-1.jpg

dsc00359-1.jpg

dsc00364-1.jpg

Did you do all the work yourself? I couldn't weld together two pieces of chewing gum.

Yea I did most of it. I had my buddy weld the winch plate to the frame because that was so crucial. I coulda done it, and I'm pretty sure it woulda been fine, but I feel better knowing 100% my winch isn't going anywhere. That and he welded the spring hangers. Again, same thing, but I feel better with him doing the crucial work. All the tubing and the recovery points and the winch fairlead mount I did.

Looks good. I like it better like that. Don't feel bad about letting someone else lay beads for you. I had one of the shop welders(that works under me) do the final welding on my last axle conversion, after I had everything tacked in place. I don't weld all the time like I used to, so why risk it on a critical component when a more qualified man is right there to help?

BTW, I don't want to be the bearer of bad news or anything... but if you look really hard in some of the photos, you just can see where one of your buddies has leaned on your hood or something... I think it might be dented a little.:lol:

BTW, I don't want to be the bearer of bad news or anything... but if you look really hard in some of the photos, you just can see where one of your buddies has leaned on your hood or something... I think it might be dented a little.:lol:

Oh my god are you serious!? I'm gonna have to get it to the body shop ASAP!

slightly off topic, what do you think about the BTF rear cross member so far?

also

what do you think about this shackle angle, was this the reason for the reversal
IMG_0569-1.jpg

better have him lean on the grill too. Looks like the only straight piece left...lol...lol..

slightly off topic, what do you think about the BTF rear cross member so far?

also

what do you think about this shackle angle, was this the reason for the reversal
IMG_0569-1.jpg

Those springs were already bent. That was why it was doing that. The BTF rear x-member is pretty good. It wasn't hard to install. I've gotten to the point that changing springs is a routine, so nothing about it but a little welding was really a big deal. I like it.

Can you run the bolt in the 3rd hole on your shackle without it being in the way? I haven't had the problem with my short little shackles, but have seen plenty of other guys flex the spring out and have the shackle flop toward the front and fold the top leaf. It ain't cool when that happens.

I had to go to longer shackles cuz the other ones I had were hitting the frame. Those are only 5/8 longer.

Geez... I'm adding a light bar. Not much of a project, but I'm bending, fabricating and doing the welding.

Takin' forever but I want to do it correctly the first time...
IMG_5218-1.jpg

Just measure twice and cut/weld once. How you gonna run the wires? Think about running them through the tube?

It'd look pretty clean if you were to drill a hole and put a rubber grommet in it to run the wires in the tube and then back out where they meet down at the bumper. Just run a spare piece of wire in there to fish them through before you weld it.

Back