Rust

EMTSerks

I have some nice rust holes on the driver and pass floor, as well as driver seat bracket. The floor is going to need to be patched, I've heard bad things about bondo, and was thinking of just using sheet metal... I intend to bedliner the entire inside once its rust free. I just don't know how to go about the whole ordeal.. Any thoughts? help? =) Much appreciated

That's the question - do you have a welder and the skill, or the money to pay someone else to do it. If so, buy entire new floorboards and weld them in, then prime and paint - no more rust issues. I'd buy a premade panel myself - Jeep Repair Panels at JCWhitney.com

bondo itself isn't bad, but in a floorboard area, where you'll be kicking the heck out of it, the bondo would probably break / crack.

If you decide that you don't want to weld in new panels, and do go the bondo route, try this stuff RESTOGRIP-POR-15 Inc. I've used it on the floorboards of other cars with moderate success.

I built truck bodies for a living for 35 years..............
1st rule: RUST is NOT a primer for paint!
2nd: You may not have access to a welder or be able to weld so you can cut out the bad spots and clean any oil / grease from the original ie: floor - cut your patch panel a little bit smaller (ie: 1/4" all the way around) than the floor area & apply a silcone sealent to both the old and new surfaces. Plop the new metal on top of the old - drill at the corner areas for example and install some stainless steel fastners (nuts & bolts) 3/16" or 1/4" x whatever is fine. Lay a bead of the silicone all the way around the edge of the new panel where it meets the old (Corners) let it cure 24 hours & you should be in business.
Jim

hmmm but what happens when the rust eats to the edge even with the good metal ? por 15 it and use the degreaser and metal etch you'll be fine if you use the instructions.

Back