Possible broken axle?

Sully

Long story short, I buried my TJ in the mud right down to the frame. Sat in soupy soft mud for 6 hours. Then I was winched out by another jeep from the rear. While I was being winched out I was in 4 wheel low in reverse trying to make the pull easier. Halfway through the pull my front end started knocking. Every revolution or so it felt like it would bind up then pop and spin around. I thought I might have rocks jammed in between my u-joints but I cleaned them out and there is nothing and it still pops. Once I got onto the road I put the jeep into 2wd and the front end locked up and the jeep would not move. Had to put it in 4 wheel low to force the front wheels to spin just to get it to the side of the road. I ended up trailering it home. Now I have it up on jack stands in my driveway. Anyways, when I put it in 4 wheel low and try to drive forward or back, the front drive staft spins a revolution then stops, then pops and goes again. Do you think I broke and axle shaft, or could my splines be messed up? Any input much appreciated thanks in advance.

Kyle

Sully,
I've been sittin' here thinking about your problem for a while........just uneducated logic and a little knowledge of how mechanical stuff works. I've never broken an axle, so I can't reall opine on that except to say that I think a broken axle would cause more racket/troubles than what you describe. Maybe the disconnects aren't disconnecting........nah - still should roll. And I thought, maybe needle bearings in your u-joints.......but I'm thinking they'd be making more/different racket than what you describe. My thinking leans toward a broken ear on a spline or tooth on a gear somewhere. Perhaps our gurus can chime in an educate us both!! Hope it's nothin' too serious.

Mud is HELL!!!!

wishing I was a guru,
-mud-

Last edited:
Sully it sounds to me like you've jacked a ring and pinion or spider gears. An axle wouldn't do that. Pull the cover and check it out, I think you'll find your problem in the pumpkin, or rather in little pieces when you pull the cover.

the front drive staft spins a revolution then stops, then pops and goes again.

Kyle

If the front driveline turns exactly 1 revolution and pops every time, my guess would be a tooth or a couple of consecutive teeth on the pinion gear are damaged. Less likely would be the output gear of the transfer case, but possible. LBR

I'll pull the cover tomorrow to see if there are any missing teeth. But in the mean time here's a picture.
image-missing.png

I'll pull the cover tomorrow to see if there are any missing teeth. But in the mean time here's a picture.
image-missing.png

Now THAT is a "stuck"!!!! I can barely see the top of your rear tire!!:lol: :lol: :lol: Reminds me of what I did to mine when it was 6 days old!! (definite driver error:redface: :redface: :redface: ). I see a winch on the front of your TJ..............how come you didn't winch yourself out?? And from the looks of that pic, forward seems to be the way to go. You got winched out from the rear???

Anyway, best of luck, Kyle. Again, hope it's something simple and inexpensive.

I see a winch on the front of your TJ..............how come you didn't winch yourself out?? And from the looks of that pic, forward seems to be the way to go. You got winched out from the rear???

My winch line snapped twice and the guy that eventually showed up to pull me out had just washed his jeep so he didnt want to get it all muddy. But he had a longer winch cable and just sat on the street and winched me. I wish he would have come in and pulled me straight out but whatever. Probably wouldnt have lost teeth on the spiders but I am thankful that he pulled me out.

I can't believe that you would break anything in mud that slimy.
So, instead of replacing the spiders, you are going to slap in a locker right?

Sorry to hear that. That sucks. Were they stock gears? If so you should be able to replace them pretty cheap. Check ebay or something. If they're 4.10s I know a guy getting rid of some right now. Let me know.

Maybe a good time to upgrade to a better ratio... And probably throw in a locker as well.

Back